Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Brechin City (3) v Dumbarton (3)

Saturday 20th August 2011, Kick Off 3pm

Irn Bru SFL Division Two

SONS salvaged a point at Glebe Park in a thrilling 3-3 draw against promotion favourites Brechin City but squandered a two-goal first half lead in the process.

Boss Alan Adamson said of the game: "We fought hard in a game we really didn't deserve to lose.

"Whilst I've got to be disappointed at losing a two-goal lead, the lads fought back well under the circumstances and it's good to get a point posted on the board."

The gaffer wielded his selection axe by dropping skipper Paul Nugent to the bench whilst goalie Stephen Grindlay was unavailable because of a prior engagement. Martin McNiff took up centre-half duties and the captain's armband was handed to Bryan Prunty.

Brechin were first to threaten with ex-Son Derek Carcary showing Jamie Lyden a clean pair of heels to burst through after just three minutes, however the pacy winger's finish was weak and Ewings pulled off a comfortable save.

Nelson saved a low shot from Prunty and McManus could easily have had the home side ahead on 10 minutes but his shot was saved well by Ewings.

One minute later Sons took the lead. Scott Agnew blasted home a Prunty feed and the Prestwick man showed his delight by celebrating enthusiastically with his team-mates!

Ewings again saved well from City's McKenna and on the half-hour Sons doubled their lead. An Agnew free-kick was glanced home by youngster Jamie Lyden to give Dumbarton a deserved half-time cushion.

However, things started to go wrong at the start of the second period. First, after just a minute from the re-start, Brechin sub Gary Fusco took advantage of a slack clearance to fire home and then on 51 minutes, City drew level.

A characteristic burst from midfield by Carcary caught Sons defence napping, and Lithgow saw red after denying him a goalscoring opportunity.

And to run salt in the wound, referee Des Roache awarded a penalty. McManus equalised from the spot by sending Ewings the wrong way.

Manager Adamson changed tactics by withdrawing Prunty and sending on Nugent, and with two banks of four and Pat Walker up front, Sons managed to get organised quickly.

However, Brechin completed a mighty comeback by grabbing the lead in 56 minutes following a dreadful mistake by Martin McBride.

The game lurched back and forth in the closing stages and it was another ex-Son, Mick Dunlop, who helped Dumbarton salvage a point.

His 88th minute foul earned him a booking, allowing Scott Agnew to fire home an outrageous 25-yard free-kick and Sons first point of the season was secured.

Dumbarton: Ewings; Lyden, Lithgow, McNiff, Creaney; McBride, Nicoll, Agnew, Gilhaney; Prunty, Walker. Subs: Brannan, Metcalfe, Winters, keeper Meldrum.

Alan Findlay