Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (1) v Arbroath (1)

Saturday 18th August 2018, Kick Off 3pm

League One

IN 33 games' time, we'll know how big a moment happened at Dumbarton at nearly 5pm on Saturday, August 18.

Just how much will Ross Forbes' injury time equaliser for Sons, against early pacesetters Arbroath, matter on Saturday, May 4, when the Red Lichties have been faced for the fourth time and the league season is over?

We'll only know there and then. But for now, it was a huge moment.

Bobby Linn's goal for Arbroath on 26 minutes had Dumbarton looking down the barrel of a second consecutive home league defeat.

It may be early doors, but no points out of six from your first two home fixtures, and half a dozen points off the top, ain't a great place to be after three games.

With one spin inside the area from Bobby Barr's assist, Forbes ended that possibility. Sons were sharing the points.

This game was somewhere in between the previous two fixtures this week. It wasn't as positive as against Morton, it wasn't as disappointing as against Forfar.

After a bright start which should have yielded at least one goal - Michael Paton's disallowed header notwithstanding - Dumbarton fell away a bit.

In the end, the sustained effort by a walking wounded Sons side paid off. Their threat wasn't always high, but they continued to push.

It was at the expense of some players' fitness and it will be survival of the fittest when a team is selected to face Brechin next week. But at least the effort didn't go without reward.

It would hardly be unfair to say Dumbarton could have put clear daylight between the teams in the first 12 minutes. Paton's second minute header from Barr's cross would have set them on their way but for an offside flag.

Stuart Carswell was then twice denied by the keeper punching his shots away from goal, before Paton was also denied with a further effort.

It didn't last. Jason Thomson and Ryan Wallace each missed opportunities for Arbroath, but when Linn gained control on the edge of the area, Sons were not so fortunate.

He thrashed it home and Arbroath, already the only League One team with a 100 per cent record, had the lead.

Craig Barr and Rory Loy had headers off target during what was left of the first half. Dumbarton were having to do it the hard way.

In the second half, either side of a saved effort by Ryan Thomson, Wallace and Omar Kader had, and missed, chances for Arbroath.

Another Thomson opportunity, followed by Craig Barr scooping the ball over from close range, were next for Sons. With the visitors stifling the home side more the longer the game went on, it was slipping away.

But after Bobby Barr played Forbes in 15 yards out, he turned a defender and did the rest.

Dumbarton: Adam; Dyer, Dowie, Carswell, Hutton, R Barr, Russell (Gallagher 62), Paton, Thomson, Loy (Forbes 71), C Barr (Little 79). Subs: McGowan; Perry. Booked: Thomson, Carswell, Dyer.

Arbroath: Jamieson; Thomson, Hamilton, Little, O'Brien, Whatley, Kader, McKenna (Hester 63), Wallace, Swankie (Gold 79), Linn (Denholm 71). Subs: Hill; McCord, Graham. Booked: Hamilton, Thomson.

Referee: Kevin Graham.

Andy Galloway