Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Brechin City (3) v Dumbarton (2)

Saturday 25th August 2018, Kick Off 3pm

League One

THINGS were back on the rails with an hour played of this game.

Within a further 30 minutes, Dumbarton's season continued off course.

Goals by Bobby Barr and a trialist midfielder had Sons in command at Brechin. All they had to do was hold firm.

But once Boris Melingui pulled one back within minutes of the trialist's goal, it was feared that it might unravel.

Those fears were realised when Calum Tapping equalised for City, and in injury time, Melingui's second won it for them.

It got more frustrating than that. The trialist was on the field because Stuart Carswell had left it with injury, and Michael Paton had also been forced off earlier.

A game which was hoped to restore the winning habit for Sons ended up being one of frustration and major disappointment.

Rory Loy was first to threaten, but headed a cross from the left over from six yards.

However, on 17 minutes, a corner was flicked back by a defender in Barr's direction, and whether he meant it or not, he bent the ball in at the far post.

Soon afterwards, Iain Russell intercepted a slack pass and ran in on goal, but the keeper blocked at close range.

Brechin served some warning just before half time, starting when Melingui couldn't quite meet Andy Jackson's low ball across goal.

Jackson himself then tested Grant Adam twice. Nothing was decided in this game.

That was even more so early in the second half when only ricochets off defenders stopped Melingui twice, and then Dougie Hill, from scoring in a goalmouth scramble.

That was on 55 minutes, and on 56 Dumbarton had doubled their lead. The trialist thrashed home a 20-yard shot and they were in firm control.

A position they were in for all of five minutes, when Melingui turned to fire home from a narrow angle.

A Hill header then hit the outside of the post as the half became one-way traffic.

On 76 minutes came the equaliser which had been threatened. Tapping almost completely replicated Melingui's goal by turning to shoot home from a narrow angle.

With nine minutes left Dumbarton looked more like getting their lead back. Barr's low shot from the edge of the area was saved, and then in injury time, Calum Gallagher headed home a cross from the right.

Unfortunately he did so from an offside position. If only the same could be levelled at Melingui in injury time.

He wasn't, he scored at close range, and instead of two points, all three had slipped through Sons' fingers.

Brechin City: Brennan; Burns, McGeever, Hill (Spark 82), Orsi, Tapping, Jackson, Sinclair, Smith, Morena, Melingui. Subs: O'Neill; Lynas, Dailly. Booked: Sinclair.

Dumbarton: Adam; Dyer, Dowie, Carswell (Trialist 49), Little, Hutton, R Barr, Russell, Paton (Forbes 21), Thomson, Loy (Gallagher 86). Sub: McGowan. Booked: Thomson, Forbes, R Barr, Dyer.

Referee: Mike Roncone.

Andy Galloway