Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (1) v Raith Rovers (5)

Saturday 29th September 2018, Kick Off 3pm

League One

WE'LL just stick to the facts, will we?

Beaten 5-1 on your own pitch, with four of the goals coming in the first 36 minutes. There really isn't much you can add to that.

Dumbarton had an opportunity to make a statement against Raith Rovers. What was presented to the crowd in the opening 45 minutes was the most one-sided of first halves, and not in a positive way where Sons were concerned.

It all started on 24 seconds when Lewis Vaughan controlled a through ball and neatly shot over Jamie McGowan and into the net.

The second goal should have come on seven minutes when Kevin Nisbet was well-placed, but headed wide.

Instead Dumbarton were two down five minutes later when nobody tracked the run of Nathan Flanagan at a corner and he mercilessly thrashed the ball home.

Vaughan then missed from six yards, but when Sons seemed to be managing the situation to some extent, more goals followed.

On 33 minutes, a clearance ricocheted off a defender six yards out and Flanagan snapped up the loose ball from close range.

And three minutes later, Nisbet was left unmarked to put away a corner.

Lewis Milne also shot narrowly wide after a further three minutes.

Starting the second half on a hiding to nothing, Dumbarton did rally. A Jack Aitchison shot was turned wide before Ross Forbes just missed the target with a free kick.

Then with 20 minutes to go, newly-introduced substitute Calum Gallagher headed home Iain Russell's cross into the area.

Ryan Thomson with an overhead kick, and then Ross Perry with a long distance effort, were then narrowly off target.

But after Vaughan shot narrowly over, Liam Buchanan completed the scoring four minutes from full time with a simple close range finish.

That's really it.

Dumbarton: McGowan; Dyer (Loy 80), Dowie, Perry, Hutton (Russell 46), Forbes (Gallagher 67), R Barr, Spencer, Allardice, Aitchison, Thomson. Sub: Adam. Booked: Spencer, Forbes, Allardice.

Raith Rovers: Thomson; Murray, Crane, Davidson, Benedictus, Milne (Buchanan 74), Hendry (Berry 89), Nisbet, Vaughan, Flanagan (Stevenson 90), Wedderburn. Subs: Silva; Watson, Valentine, McKay. Booked: Wedderburn, Milne, Davidson.

Referee: Steven Reid.

Andy Galloway