Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Forfar Athletic (3) v Dumbarton (0)

Saturday 17th November 2018, Kick Off

League One

IF you enjoy trips to far flung parts of Scotland to follow Dumbarton, this started out as the season for you.

All four trips to Angus on the itinerary for the first time in over 40 years.

And all of them, at the first time of asking, have ended in defeat.

In this game, Forfar simply did in the second half what they should have done in the first. Had 3-0 been the scoreline 45 minutes through the game instead of after 90, there could have been no complaints.

Sons, somehow still in the game at the interval, were put to the sword after it with goals by Darren Whyte, John Baird and Mark Hill.

It was sobering viewing from start to finish.

Within 20 seconds Dylan Easton had hit the side netting, and in four minutes Baird hit the post with a volley and the ball rebounded clear.

There was some response, with Bobby Barr seeing a shot well saved, but Easton then rolled a shot across goal and wide.

Dom Thomas then missed the target before the first half finished in a blaze of one way traffic which was just missing the goals it was so obviously threatening.

Michael Travis' shot on the turn was deflected wide before Chris Smith twice saved from Easton. Dale Hilson then looked certain to score after Forfar passed their way through, but rolled his shot wide.

Sometimes when you survived that onslaught, your luck is in for the rest of the day. Truth be told, Sons had used their share of fortune to get to half time still level.

Four minutes into the second half they were behind when Whyte was in splendid isolation to head home a corner from the left.

And five minutes later the defence failed to clear a cross and Baird thrashed the ball home.

In an effort to get Dumbarton back into it, Ross Forbes shot from 40 yards with the keeper off his line, but he got back on to it to turn the ball over.

But after Hilson had missed two further opportunities for Forfar, Hill thrashed in a 25-yard free kick for the third.

Forbes and Baird had late chances for each team, but neither found the target.

Forfar Athletic: McCallum; Bain, Meechan, Whyte, Travis, Reilly, Hilson, Hill, Baird (Cunningham 85), Easton (Coupe 82), Moore (Mackintosh 89). Subs: Muir; Malone, Munro. Booked: Whyte.

Dumbarton: Smith; Ballantyne, Perry, Carswell, Hutton, Gallagher (Spencer 81), Forbes, R Barr, Paton, Allardice, Thomas. Subs: McGowan; Dyer. Booked: Allardice, Perry, Paton.

Referee: Lloyd Wilson.