Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Brechin City (1) v Dumbarton (0)

Saturday 12th January 2019, Kick Off

League One

AT least when last-minute goals started hurting Dumbarton last season, they waited until March.

Most of the second half of the season still remains, but how much damage could this one do?

As much as the ones conceded to Alloa and Inverness CT last season? Maybe not, but the workload to ensure it doesn't just got greater.

Jordan Tapping had already done enough damage to Dumbarton's hopes at one end as part of an organised Brechin defence.

He then inflicted it at the other with a goal that summed up the game - scrappy, but ultimately the winners wouldn't care how they got the three points.

A cheaply conceded corner led to a goalmouth scramble where the City defender won the race to get a foot to the ball.

Although never lacking in effort from either side, the contest was short of quality from start to finish. It would have been hard to argue against a goalless scoreline.

But when a corner was conceded with the final whistle imminent, what was about to happen was predictable.

A season which started with such high hopes now sees Sons only avoiding the bottom two places by a single goal.

There are still 15 matches to play and who knows? Maybe somebody will decide that Dumbarton have had enough go against them this season and something will turn.

It could, equally, be that the current sequence of events has some length left in it yet. But nobody wants to entertain that.

Early on, Bobby Barr was unlucky with a low shot which just missed the target after he cut in from the left.

Then when Ross Forbes sent in a free kick, Ryan Thomson saw his shot blocked. The bright start faded but Brechin were being kept at arm's length.

That was until half time when Jordan Sinclair's deflected effort went over off the top of the bar.

The second half was almost equally lacking in cutting edge, but Brechin did gain an advantage with Paton's second booking for a poor challenge on Sean Burns.

Soon after, Euan Smith shot across goal and wide. In response, Andy Dowie's header was brilliantly turned wide from another free kick by Forbes.

Little did many people know, at this point, how much meaning a goal would have had there, with Dowie less than 24 hours away from hanging up his boots.

The crossbar then got assaulted again as a speculative ball in by Dougie Hill hit the top of the goal and went over.

Then, in injury time, Calum Hendry's volley from the edge of the area rolled wide. It looked like the near misses hadn't proven costly and the points would be shared.

And then Dumbarton conceded a corner.

Brechin City: O'Neill; McLean, Burns, Hill, Spark (Kavanagh 63), Orsi, Jackson, Sinclair (Hendry 78), Smith, Tapping, Robertson. Subs: Brennan; Lynas, Morena, Melingui. Booked: Tapping, Hendry, Robertson.

Dumbarton: Smith; Ballantyne, Dowie, Carswell, Hutton, Gallagher, Forbes, R Barr, Paton, Armour (Spencer 79), Thomson. Subs: McGowan; C Barr. Booked: Hutton, Armour. Booked and sent off: Paton.

Referee: Gavin Duncan.

Andy Galloway