Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (2) v Raith Rovers (2)

Tuesday 26th February 2019, Kick Off 7.45pm

League One

"DONE in with the last kick of the game."

A former Dumbarton manager, several years ago, joked that would be his epitaph after yet another injury time goal which cost points.

When these things come around, they come around.

Dumbarton weren't exactly done in by Kevin Nisbet's injury time equaliser for Raith Rovers in this game. There wasn't as much at stake as there has been on other occasions when the final minutes of the game has seen a vital goal conceded.

But how big could those extra two points have been? Had they been retained right through to the whistle, sixth-placed Airdrieonians would have been within a point's reach.

In the end, a draw in isolation was not a disastrous result and the same outcome between Stranraer and Stenhousemuir meant that it was as you were.

All three points had looked on after Ross Forbes and Stuart Carswell had overturned Nathan Flanagan's opener for Raith.

Considering how Sons were humbled in their own backyard the last time Rovers came to town, there was plenty merit in this result.

However, it could have been better.

Raith thought they had a penalty early doors, but whether or not Craig Barr did foul Liam Buchanan in the area, the offside flag was already up.

There was no get-out clause after 19 minutes, though. After a high ball came in from the left, the defence got in each other's way trying to clear.

It was a matter of who got to the loose ball first, and Flanagan scored in the Castle Road end for the third time this season.

Dumbarton hadn't made much impression by this point, but that all changed within eight minutes of going behind.

Forbes picked up an effort at a clearance by the Raith defence, and scored with a low shot from the edge of the area.

Five minutes later things were completely turned around. Again the visitors did not clear their lines, and Carswell's searing low effort found the bottom corner.

Despite further chances, it remained 2-1 at the interval and having struggled in the early exchanges, Sons could feel good value for their lead.

The second half started in stuffy fashion, with Raith having a lot of the ball but not putting debuting keeper Conor Brennan - the fifth occupant of the Dumbarton gloves this season - through his paces too much.

Indeed, a foul by Grant Gillespie on Dom Thomas looked dangerously close to the edge of the penalty area. The referee decided it was outside, and Forbes went straight for goal from the free kick, but missed.

Tony Dingwall had two efforts for the visitors which were off target, either side of Nisbet's shot which went straight at Brennan.

Thomas then was handed an opportunity by a slack passback, but with the ball getting stuck under his feet, he sliced wide with only the keeper to face.

Then with one last hopeful attack, Raith sent the ball high into the area and Nisbet was waiting for it. Having done their job almost immaculately in protecting their lead, Dumbarton had missed out on two points.

But - five games unbeaten. In fact, the last defeat was with an injury time goal as well. Dumbarton haven't lost since.

Dumbarton: Brennan; Ballantyne, Carswell, Hutton, Gallagher (Paton 88), Forbes (Thomson 82), R Barr (Melingui 90), Ferguson, Van Schaik, Thomas, Barr. Subs: Smith; Armour. Booked: Carswell.

Raith Rovers: Lyness; Crane, Davidson, Murray, Gillespie (Bowie 87), Buchanan, Dingwall, Wedderburn (Matthews 15), Nisbet, Flanagan (McGuffie 59), Barjonas. Subs: Thomson; McKay, Berry, Watson. Booked: Gillespie.

Referee: Alan Newlands.

Andy Galloway