Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (1) v Queen of the South (4)

Saturday 20th July 2019, Kick Off 3pm

Betfred Cup

THIS was what they call a good start gone pretty horribly wrong.

When a 1-0 lead becomes a 4-1 reverse within 16 minutes, it probably does fit that description.

Dumbarton, their pride wounded from Tuesday's hefty defeat, looked to be bouncing back against Queen of the South when PJ Crossan put them in front after seven minutes.

Just over a quarter of an hour later, Michael Paton, Gary Oliver, Stephen Dobbie and Connor Murray had all found their net.

The lead hadn't been wiped out; people were starting to forget it ever existed.

One more outing in the Betfred Cup group, against Motherwell on Tuesday, and then it is on to the arena where Sons' efforts will really matter this season.

The thing is that after 10 goals shipped in two games, a fixture against Premiership opposition who have so far scored seven unanswered goals is not really what is wanted.

It can only be hoped that the effort being spent by every player, which has gone without reward in the last 180 minutes of football, gets some breaks against the Steelmen.

It looked as if the workrate at Morton four nights earlier was being rewarded early doors against Queens, although firstly that was when Dobbie shot wide for the visitors when well placed.

Two minutes later that lead was punished. Ryan Tierney, last week's goal hero, turned provider this time, crossing to the back post for Crossan to squeeze a shot home.

All that had to be done was to see the lead out for the remaining 83 minutes. The efforts to do so lasted three.

A ball to the back post found Paton, whose close range effort evaded Conor Brennan's clutches and rolled in.

Three minutes later, a low ball came into the area from the right, found Oliver in splendid isolation, and he could hardly miss from six yards.

After a further four minutes, Dobbie finished with a low angled shot after cutting in from the left as Queens passed their way through.

And within another six minutes, Murray spun on the edge of the area to shoot over Brennan and into the net.

Talk about unravelling. But Dumbarton kept the workrate going, although the closest they got was a Joe McKee shot which was held by the keeper.

In the second half Sons were more competitive, but struggled to get close enough to the keeper to reduce the deficit.

Another McKee shot was saved, but only after an excellent save from Brennan prevented Murray from adding a fifth.

Each of the two outfield players had a further opening before close of play, but neither found the target.

Dumbarton: Brennan; Quitongo, Neill, Carswell (Langan 78), Hutton, Tierney (Crawford 46), McCluskey, McKee, McGeever, McMillan, Crossan (Zata 74). Subs: Pettigrew; Shiels. Booked: Carswell, McCluskey.

Queen of the South: McCrorie; Holt, Kilday, Brownlie (Gourlay 78), Pybus, Murray, Kidd, Oliver, Dobbie (Hamilton 54), McCarthy (Irving 61), Paton. Subs: Burns; Williams, Williamson. Booked: Pybus, Brownlie.

Andy Galloway