Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (3) v Stranraer (1)

Saturday 24th August 2019, Kick Off 3pm

League One

'HOW to turn things round in 180 minutes of football'.

A book Dumbarton could almost write.

Eleven days before this game they were eliminated from a cup by a colt team. Three days prior to that they had six unanswered goals scuffed past them by Falkirk.

Now that Peterhead and Stranraer have been beaten, there is a very different feeling around the place.

Familiar ones returned when Leon Murphy put Stranraer in front on 20 minutes of this game. But within a further five they had gone again when Isaac Layne followed up last week's winning goal by equalising.

And in a second half Sons dominated, Reghan Tumilty marked his debut with a goal before Layne's second sealed it.

Two wins and six goals scored, and the character to come from behind in each of them. Amazing what confidence that generates.

The first chance of the game fell to Tumilty on 13 minutes, but his shot from 18 yards rolled wide after the ball broke to him.

Another defender then had a close effort from a similar position, but Morgyn Neill's effort from a corner was just too high.

It was, though, from a free kick conceded by Neill that Stranraer opened the scoring. His push 20 yards out was penalised and Murphy stepped up to crash the free kick home.

However, the lead lasted only five minutes when PJ Crossan's delivery resulted in a scramble which saw Layne convert from six yards. A goal which would have been scored in Stranraer this time last year when those two players were team-mates at Stair Park.

The rest of the first half passed without much incident before a great opportunity passed Sons by six minutes into the second. Crossan's ball into the box found Ruaridh Langan six yards out, but he headed over.

Crossan then tried for another assist, but Conor Scullion couldn't quite jab the ball into the net after stretching to get on the end of his delivery.

Instead it was left to Tumilty on 64 minutes to roll the ball home from the edge of the area after Layne picked him out.

Despite the lift, much hard work still lay ahead, as recognised by manager Jim Duffy when he brought on skipper Stuart Carswell for his 100th game for the club, replacing Ruaridh Langan.

And one of Carswell's former colleagues at Dumbarton served further notice when Ryan Thomson deflected a shot towards goal, but Conor Brennan just held on.

Carswell was then close to reaching the milestone with a ferocious effort from another low ball by Layne, but a deflection carried it wide.

But after the resulting corner was only partly cleared, Layne scrambled home his second after Ryan McGeever's acrobatic effort broke his way.

Sons know all too well that a team managed or assistant managed by Stevie Farrell fights to the end and Stranraer did that through James Hilton, whose effort Brennan did well to turn over the bar.

He then performed more heroics from the same player's free kick going into the 90th minute, turning the low effort wide.

Dumbarton: Brennan; Quitongo, Langan (Carswell 70), Neill, Hutton, Scullion (McMillan 82), McKee, Tumilty, Layne (Tierney 90), McGeever, Crossan. Subs: Pettigrew; Crawford. Booked: Neill, Hutton, Quitongo.

Stranraer: Burgess; Robertson, Allan, Cummins, Hamilton, McManus, Murphy (Hilton 70), Elliott, Dangana (Stewart 66), Hamill (Smith 66), Thomson. Sub: Currie. Booked: Cummins, Robertson.

Referee: Barry Cook.

Andy Galloway