Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (1) v Clyde (0)

Tuesday 3rd November 2020, Kick Off 7pm

League One - first 18 games

Match digital sponsor - Signs Express Glasgow

VICTORIES come in all shapes and sizes and require input in every area of the pitch.

Adam Frizzell did his bit in the 13th minute to win this game for Dumbarton. But a third clean sheet from three in the league this season relied on a sound defence as well.

For the second time in three days Sons were up against a team with at least one of last season's leading scorers in League One. None of them have laid a meaningful glove on them.

Successful teams don't just win with attacking flair; sometimes they hold on for the result. This was more of a case of the latter.

It has the same meaning, though. Three points, no goals conceded at home from open play in 2020, no goals conceded anywhere in the league this season. Even only three games in, the impressive stats stack up.

Clyde were the faster team to get going and forced a couple of early corners without unduly troubling Kevin Dabrowski on his return to action.

But once Sons settled, the opening goal was scored in glorious fashion on 13 minutes. Frizzell spun away from the defence and after exchanging passes with Jaime Wilson, lifted the ball over the keeper.

Things immediately reached something of an impasse again, with neither goalkeeper seriously troubled again until the later stages of the first half.

Ross Forbes did try to connect with a Chris Hamilton cross six yards out on the half hour mark, but the ball was too high and went out of play.

But Frizzell was spending the first half trying to create his own goal of the season contest. After a long free kick from Sam Wardrop broke to him on the edge of the box, he turned a defender in minimal space only for the keeper to turn the shot over.

From the resulting corner, Forbes' low ball across goal had no takers in black and white. He then tried a swerving free kick with seven minutes of the half left, but the keeper was alert.

Clyde introduced Kris Syvertsen as a half time substitute and it was him who had their first serious close call of the evening, his shot being deflected into the side netting in the second half's opening minutes. The resulting corner came to nothing.

A shot from well out wide by Jay Henderson then forced Dabrowski into a fine save. The visitors were showing clear intent.

Barry Cuddihy was next to try with a long range effort, but Dabrowski again was up to the challenge.

It just wasn't happening for Dumbarton going forward and the next narrow escape was on 68 minutes. David Goodwillie's shot looked like it was finding the corner but rolled just past.

Ryan McGeever then made space on the edge of the Clyde box, but his shot trundled away from the target.

Then with 14 minutes left, the same player's low drive was turned away by the keeper. Sons were troubling the visitors more but needed a second goal to have it done and dusted.

But they were more at risk of an equaliser being conceded with 11 minutes left when Dabrowski was alert to Syvertsen's header.

Then in injury time, he looked to have dropped a shot by the same player, but recovered in time.

It just wasn't any Clyde player's night. The defensive side of the Dumbarton team did their job, one moment of quality was enough for the attacking side to do theirs.

Dumbarton: Dabrowski; McGeever, Quitongo, Neill, Carswell, Forbes, Frizzell (Reilly 78), Wardrop, Wilson (Jones 60), Wedderburn, Hamilton (Langan 87). Sub: Calder. Booked: Wilson, Hamilton.

Clyde: Mitchell; Bain (Robertson 70), Shiels, McNiff, Cuddihy, Lamont (Rumsby 70), Goodwillie, Love, Lang, Henderson (Johnston 65), Jack (Syvertsen 46). Sub: Vajs. Booked: Bain.

Referee: Duncan Williams.

Andy Galloway