Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Airdrieonians (0) v Dumbarton (2)

Saturday 31st October 2020, Kick Off 3pm

League One - first 18 games

SWITCHING the venue, playing in torrential rain and heavy wind, and getting as many goalkeepers with knocks as goals scored.

It was all worth it for Dumbarton in a 2-0 win through at Airdrie on the most impromptu of away days.

An away win. A feeling not experienced by Sons since December 21, 2019, winning at Raith Rovers by the same scoreline. With the usual caveat of seven months without football of course.

It wasn't necessarily a match they dominated. What they were was clinical, especially Jaime Wilson on his first ever Scottish senior start.

He opened the scoring on 23 minutes with the composed finish of a veteran striker, and played a big part in it being concluded on 60 minutes, the ball eventually deflected in off the Diamonds' Leon McCann.

Robert Jones provided a fine assist for the first and Nat Wedderburn likewise for the second. Although Chris Smith was forced into two fine saves, one in each half, the home side were frustrated by a determined back four.

It was just a thoroughly assured performance which suggested that there is more in the locker.

On Halloween though, there were a couple of scares as Kevin Dabrowski was forced out of the warm-up. He made way for Smith who himself later took a knock.

Fifteen minutes before kick-off, Dabrowski was all set to start before landing awkwardly trying to catch a ball. Although he looked more mobile after treatment, he was not risked and in came Smith.

An early Rico Quitongo cross found Ross Forbes well placed, but his header from six yards lacked the power to test the keeper too much.

At the other end Sean Crighton had a shot from the edge of the area for Airdrie, but it was off target.

Smith, though, was called upon to make a brilliant close range save from Calum Gallagher's header on 18 minutes after a ball in from the right by Kyle MacDonald.

And on 23 minutes that save became even more of a boost. A through ball by Robert Jones sent Wilson clear and he rolled the ball past the keeper.

Airdrie had their first opportunity to equalise nine minutes later but Kyle Connell shot well over after the ball dropped to him in a crowded box.

Nine minutes from the interval Chris Hamilton then ran in on goal after intercepting in midfield, but his shot was saved by the keeper.

In the second half, if anything the wind grew stronger. Neither side found chances easy to create, but Sons were holding steady.

That was until the 58th minute when Connell met a cross six yards out, only for Smith to make another fantastic save.

But two minutes later the lead was extended, starting with an excellent through ball by Nat Wedderburn which found Wilson on the charge.

After turning Crighton twice, he looked to have lost the chance, only for the clearance to ricochet off McCann and into his own net.

Airdrie tried to change things around but immediately after their triple substitution, Quitongo almost added what would have been a stylish third. He cut in from the left hand side, but his narrow angled shot was deflected over.

The weather continued to deteriorate before what looked an ominous moment with seven minutes to play. After kicking the ball out Smith pulled up and needed treatment, but was able to see the game through.

Airdrie threw everything at Sons in the closing stages and a Paul McKay effort was deflected just over. Dale Carrick did find the net in injury time but the referee had already blown for a foul.

The price was a potential goalkeeping headache for Tuesday's game with Clyde. But it was definitely worth the purchase.

Airdrieonians: Hutton; MacDonald (Sabatini 63), McCann, Kerr (O'Reilly 81), Crighton, Fordyce, Thomson (Robert 63), McKay, Gallagher, Carrick, Connell (Stokes 63). Subs: Murdoch; Ritchie, Mbayo.

Dumbarton: Smith; McGeever, Quitongo, Neill, Carswell, Forbes, Jones, Wardrop, Wilson (Langan 87), Wedderburn, Hamilton (Reilly 90). Sub: Frizzell. Booked: Quitongo.

Andy Galloway