Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (4) v Huntly (0)

Tuesday 23rd March 2021, Kick Off 7.45pm

Scottish Cup

THERE were 29 reasons why Dumbarton had to view this game as a potential banana skin.

One for each of the years they had waited since 1992 to right the wrong of the Scottish Cup against Huntly.

Make that 30 — bouncing back from Saturday. That box was very well ticked.

Not least by Jaime Wilson, whose performance upfront was the highlight of a very satisfactory night's work.

He opened the scoring on 32 minutes, and with Ryan McGeever having added the second eight minutes later, a glorious finish on 68 minutes gave Wilson his second.

Ross Forbes got himself involved as well, as he may well have done with the first two goals coming from his corners and the third from his pass. On 76 minutes he hit the fourth.

Big tests — not least Aberdeen — and a demanding schedule lie ahead. But this was a very pleasing evening's work.

Dumbarton did start the game well, if they were lacking in clear chances early doors. A Forbes free kick on 10 minutes veered promisingly towards goal, but just missed the target in the end.

Huntly fought back and forced a few free kicks which came to nothing, before a PJ Crossan shot rolled just past for Sons on 28 minutes.

But the deadlock did break four minutes later. Adam Frizzell played the ball to Crossan in the box, where he had space to work, and Wilson put away his low ball from close range. Sons' first goal in 101 days, through various circumstances of course.

Frizzell had received the ball from a Forbes corner, and five minutes from half time another delivery from Forbes had the same result, although more directly,

McGeever was steaming in to meet it and power home a header, a particularly welcome goalscorer after his misfortune in his previous outing.

Dumbarton maybe would have liked to have forced more opportunities in the first half, but were well worth their two-goal cushion at the break.

Two minutes into the second half, McGeever almost had a second goal, and Crossan a second assist, but the defender's header from the forward's cross dropped just wide.

After 65 minutes Crossan looked well-placed to make it three, but after he ran in on goal, the keeper got just enough on his shot to turn it clear of danger.

But three minutes later a glorious goal by Wilson made it three. Forbes found him perfectly timing his run through the middle, and although the keeper got a hand to his lob, he could not keep it out.

With 15 minutes left Frizzell had a chance for a fourth, but his shot after Morgyn Neill laid off a corner was too high.

Instead Dumbarton only had to wait a further minute, with Frizzell again assisting instead. After beating two players, he squared to Forbes for a composed finish.

Wilson was anxious for his hat-trick and just missed out on it when a Tomas Brindley cross just missed his head at the back post.

Huntly never jacked it in, though, and a free kick by Gary McGowan late in the evening provided a major threat, but Chris Smith did well to turn it wide.

Wilson thought he had his hat-trick with the minutes running out, but was flagged offside in putting away Neill's backheel towards goal.

Neill himself headed over in injury time. No matter. Job well and truly done.

Dumbarton: Smith; McGeever, Neill, Carswell, Forbes, Frizzell, Wardrop, Wilson, Wedderburn (Langan 73), McAllister (Brindley 73), Crossan (Duthie 80). Subs: Ramsbottom; Jones. Booked: McAllister, Carswell.

Huntly: Storrier; Bowden, Johnstone, Murison, Still, Booth (Elphinstone 61), McGowan, Gauld, Thomas, Thoirs (McKeown 46), Matthew (MacDonald 85). Subs: Robertshaw; Hay, Alberts, McGinley, Manson, Boylan. Booked: Still, Thomas, Bowden.

Referee: Matthew MacDermid.

Andy Galloway