Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Cove Rangers (2) v Dumbarton (0)

Saturday 4th December 2021, Kick Off 3pm

cinch League One

THIS was the very definition of a game of two halves but not for the usual reason. Nothing to do with the football, everything to do with the weather.

After producing a fabulous performance against the wind in the first half (with huge lessons learned from Peterhead), Sons ran out for the second half eager to take advantage of the gale force wind that would be howling towards the Cove goal.

Somewhere between 15.46 and 16.05, someone switched off the wind machine. Dead calm. You couldn't make it up.

Manager Stevie Farrell was still without striker Ross MacLean and defender Ryan McGeever for the trip north to the Balmoral Stadium. Eoghan Stokes started up front again with Stuart Carswell back in the starting line up. On loan Hearts striker Ryan Schiavone and Joe McKee dropped to the bench.

Manager of the month Paul Hartley's men had the wind at their backs in the first half, but both sides were struggling to adapt to the conditions in the opening minutes.

Sons first chance came in the 16th minute when Conner Duthie and Kalvin Orsi linked well to send over an inviting cross. Ex-Son Mitch Megginson, the Cove skipper, was looking for a penalty in the 23rd minute, but Sons broke and an acrobatic effort from Stokes was saved by keeper Stuart McKenzie. He then stopped a deflected shot from Duthie after a fine run from Conner on 32 minutes

A minute later, Cove had broken upfield and Connor Scully had a shot blocked before Iain Vigurs hit the loose ball wide with the assistant referee flagging for offside. Next skipper Stuart Carswell stopped Rory McAllister shooting, and half-time arrived without any scoring.

Despite the wind magically vanishing, Sons had the first chance of the second half on 52 minutes when Stokes saw his thumping shot deflected onto the woodwork by McKenzie in the Cove goal.

More good work from Stokes on the hour mark saw a shot from distance tipped over the bar. However, after this pressure from Dumbarton, the opening goal came at the other end in the 68th minute when Fraser Fyvie shot home.

Sons then pushed for what would have been a deserved leveller but this left gaps at the back and on 84 minutes the home side clinched the three points when Shay Logan set up Vigurs who finished well.

Another good performance from Sons but as Gaffer Stevie Farrell said in the post match interview, you don't always get what you deserve.

Anyone know where the wind went?

Cove Rangers: McKenzie, Neill, Scully, Ross (Masson 70), Strachan, Yule, Megginson (McIntosh 74), McAllister (Robertson 87), Vigurs, Fyvie, Logan. Subs: Milne, Adeyemo, Gourlay.

Dumbarton: Ramsbottom, Boyle, Lynch, Buchanan, Carswell, Duthie, Geggan, Orsi (McKee 76), Stokes, Pignatiello, Wilson (Shiavone 76). Subs: O'Neil, Paton, Muir, McKnight, Maley.

Referee: Chris Fordyce.

Graeme Robertson