Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (2) v Peterhead (3)

Saturday 18th December 2021, Kick Off 3pm

cinch League One

ALL Dumbarton want for Christmas is a break. Something to go their way.

But cutting out the mistakes costing goals would go a long way too.

For the second week in a row, Sons put themselves in a position to win a game, and ended up with only themselves to blame that the job wasn't finished.

Twice they led. Even after Peterhead's Josh Mulligan equalised Andy Geggan's opening goal, Conner Duthie ensured all was well again within minutes.

That was only for yet another poorly-conceded penalty to give Russell McLean the chance to equalise for the visitors, one that he snapped up at the second time of asking.

And the same player punished slack defending at a corner to head the fifth and final goal before of the match.

From start to finish, the game was played in thick fog which made action further away from the stand almost invisible to the supporters.

It is almost equally hard to see anything other than a challenging second half to the season the longer the current run of results goes on. But the hard work will continue. It is the only way.

In a competitive but almost chance-free opening to the game, Dumbarton did force a couple of corners which came to nothing.

But it was third time lucky on 16 minutes when Joe McKee's set piece was headed in by Geggan from six yards.

Only three minutes later though, a huge escape, starting when McLean ran in on goal.

Sam Ramsbottom was alert enough to block from him at close range, but the ball then found Hamish Ritchie whose shot rolled mercifully wide.

The warning was not heeded. After 24 minutes Mulligan was played in to score with a low angled shot.

However, the lead was restored four minutes later. After Sam Muir played in an excellent cross, the Sons forwards seemed to leave it to each other until Duthie forced it home.

It was hoped to see it through to half time, but for the third consecutive home game, Dumbarton conceded a cheap penalty. After Ramsbottom's trip on McLean, he denied him initially from the spot but could not stop him following up to equalise.

There was a sense of purpose about Sons at the start of the second half, and Geggan looked as if he had converted a McKee assist for the second time.

But his celebrations were ended by an offside flag after he put away the midfielder's flighted free kick.

At the other end McLean headed over when well placed.

He made no mistake minutes later, though, with a completely free header from a corner.

Dumbarton fought on, but it was futile, with the viewing conditions for the paying supporters becoming more difficult.

Dumbarton: Ramsbottom; Lynch, Buchanan, Duthie (Stokes 77), Geggan, Orsi (Schiavone 70), MacLean, McKee, Pignatiello (Wilson 77), Paton, Muir. Subs: O'Neill; McKnight, Maley. Booked: MacLean.

Peterhead: Long; Mulligan, McDonald, Jason Brown, Ritchie (Lyle 88), S Brown, McLean, Cameron, Payne (Jordon Brown 88), Savoury, Duffy. Subs: Wilson; Strachan. Booked: S Brown, Mulligan.

Referee: George Calder.

Andy Galloway