Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Falkirk (6) v Dumbarton (2)

Saturday 8th January 2022, Kick Off 3pm

cinch League One

THE one saving grace when asked to do a report on a performance and result like this is that keeping it to a description of the goals fills the report. It saves the need for further unnecessary and painful observation.

Falkirk gave early notice of what was to come by opening the scoring on eight minutes. Anton Dowds, on his return from Arbroath, had an easy finish getting on the end of a pass from Ryan Williamson.

Five minutes later it was 2-0. Dowds latched onto a passback and found Calumn Morrision who rounded Sam and rolled the ball into the net.

Sam was back in action soon after: first saving whhen Morrison again found space in the box before firing in a shot then blocking the second effort from Craig McGuffie who had gathered the rebound.

Despite the troubles at the back, Sons were threatening at the other end. First a long range effort from Stuart Carswell just skimmed the top right hand corner of Patrick Martin's goal. This was followed by Connor Duthie heading a cross from the left into the side netting.

Meanwhile back at the other end Morrison had yet another chance but Sam again blocked his effort.

Just as it looked as though the gap would be kept to two at halftime, Dowds made it three by capitalising on a defensive error before beating two defenders and firing home. 0-3 at halftime.

Early in the second half, Falkirk hit the post but it wasn't long until the fourth arrived when a corner low to the near post was knocked into the path of Aaron Taylor-Sinclair who forced the ball home.

Sons were still battling and were rewarded with two goals in ten minutes. First up, a strike from Paul Paton was deflected past Martin. That was followed by a penalty conversion from Carswell after the ref spotted a handball in the box.

Any thoughts of a stunning comeback lasted six minutes when Charlie Telfer sent in a cross that was converted by Aidan Keena. Connor Duthie nearly grabbed a third for Sons when his powerful header was palmed away by Martin.

Anton Dowds then rounded off his return and Dumbarton's misery with his hattrick strike on 88 minutes capitalising on a defensive mistake.

'Not a good day at the office' is an understatement.

Falkirk: Martin, Williamson, Hall, Taylor-Sinclair, Miller, Morrison (Nesbitt 70), McGuffie (Keena 70), McCann, Dowds (Ross 89), Telfer, McKay. Subs: Cowie, Wilson, Ompreon, Lemon.

Dumbarton: Ramsbottom, Lynch, Buchanan, Carswell, Duthie, Geggan (Wilson 60), Orsi, Maclean, Pignatiello, Paton, Wylde. Subs: O'Neil, Stokes, McKee, Muir, Maley, Schiavone.

Referee: Calum Scott.

Graeme Robertson