Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (2) v Rangers B (3)

Wednesday 11th August 2021, Kick Off 7.45pm

SPFL Trust Trophy

DUMBARTON'S SPFL Trust Trophy campaign failed at the first hurdle as Rangers B progressed to a home tie against Ayr United in the next round. Rangers had taken a 3-0 lead before late strikes from Gregor Buchanan and sub Eoghan Stokes put late pressure on the visitors.

There were few chances created by either side in the opening 20 minutes with both having enjoyed a couple of decent passing spells but without creating a chance at the end of them.

The only effort of note came in the 4th minute from the visitors, with a 25 yard effort from Cole McKinnon's going wide of the bottom corner

That came to an end when, on 20 minutes, Rangers opening the scoring as a Jake Hastie strike found the bottom corner from the edge of the area. Five minutes later they doubled the lead as Alex Lowry touched the ball home from close range.

On the half hour mark, Sons best moment in front of goal so far came after a combination between David Hopkirk, Ross MacLean and Kalvin Orsi saw the latter round the goalkeeper, but then found himself too wide of the goal.

Sons were gradually taking control of the match as they mastered Rangers' pressing game and an Andy Geggan strike was saved by Lewis Budinauckas and Buchanan then headed over a Carlo Pignatiello free kick.

The final action of the half saw Callum Erskine push away a powerful Charlie McCann strike from the edge of the box.

The second half continued as the first half had finished: an early sight of goal for Dumbarton but MacLean headed over from Carswell's cross.

Pignatiello then had a shot beaten away by the goalkeeper and Rangers then hit back when McCann showed quick feet to create a chance only to see Erskine stand up well to save.

MacLean then just failed to get on the end of a cross from the right and he guided the ball over the bar before Rangers broke upfield to make it 3-0 when Tony Weston slammed the ball in the net.

On 88 minutes Buchanan pulled one back for the Sons when he connected with a great cross from Wilson. Memories of the previous Saturday's comeback were raised when 60 seconds later when Wilson, again on the right, caused problems with his cross which was swept home by Stokes.

Those goals set up a grandstand finish but Sons failed to find the leveller despite pressure on the opposition goal and it's Rangers B who progressed to the next round.

Dumbarton: Erskine, McGeever, Boyle, Lynch (Paton 60), Buchanan, Carswell (Shiavone 60), Geggan, Orsi (Syvertsen 69), MacLean (Stokes 77), Pignatiello, Hopkirk (Wilson 69). Subs: Duthie, Muir, McKnight, Maley,

Rangers: Budinauckas, Devine, Fraser, Katic (King 69), McClelland, McCann, Lowry (McKee 69), McKinnon (Miller 77), Weston, Lindsay (Ritchie-Hosler 85), Hastie (Lyall 77). Subs: Hogarth, MacKinnon, Strachan, Ure.

Referee: Steven Reid.

Graeme Robertson