Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Gretna 2008 (2) v Dumbarton (3)

Saturday 2nd July 2022, Kick Off 2pm

Pre-season friendlies

A LATE strike from a trialist saw Dumbarton record their first victory of pre-season against Gretna 2008.

An entertaining game at Raydale Park saw the hosts lead through Rhys Caves' early strike, before two quickfire efforts from the debuting Ryan Wallace and Gregor Buchanan turned the game around.

The scores were level at half-time through a scorching finish from a Gretna trialist, before Sons' own mystery man got the only goal of the second-half to claim the win.
Right from the opening minutes goals looked likely, as Sons twice threatened to break the deadlock.

First Kalvin Orsi powered a free header from David Wilson's corner wide of target, before Declan Byrne collected Ross MacLean's cross and fired straight at Gretna keeper Jack Main.
With their first clearcut chance however it was the hosts who were clinical.

David Wilson was caught in possession on the edge of his own box, with Rhys Caves stealing the ball and calmly slotting beyond Brett Long.

Dumbarton should've drawn level immediately as Ross MacLean collected a short backpass, but he could only fire straight at Main, with Ryan Wallace's follow-up cleared from the line.
A swift-counter attack then saw Gretna pass up a chance to double their lead with Dumbarton's makeshift defence looking shaky.

As the game moved towards the half hour however the Sons asserted themselves on the play.

Excellent link-up between Ryan Wallace and Declan Byrne sent the latter in on goal, but he flashed over the bar from a good position. Roles reversed two minutes later, and this time the outcome was positive for Stevie Farrell's side. Byrne's clever pass sent Wallace clear, and he made no mistake with a clinical low finish.

Wallace then turned provider again, digging out an inviting cross for Ross MacLean - but he could only loop a header into Main's gloves. After another scare at the back saw Brett Long collect Russell Currie's free-header, Dumbarton took the lead. Joe McKee's corner caused chaos in the Gretna rearguard. Martin McNiff saw his effort hacked off the line, but Gregor Buchanan was alert to stroke the ball into the net.

The lead lasted just four minutes however, as a swift counter attack was finished in sensational style by a Gretna trialist from a tight angle on the edge of the area. There was one final opening before half-time as Wallace found himself in on goal, with only a last ditch block denying the debut man a clear strike at the target.

After a high octane first-half, the second felt far more like a friendly - albeit one in which Sons were very grateful for keeper Brett Long. The Irishman performed heroics to deny Russell Currie from close range, before an equally as impressive stop from a one-on-one.
At the other end MacLean was once again denied by Main in the Gretna goal, whilst Sons' midfield trialist was crowded out as he went to shoot. In the final 10 minutes Long performed more heroics to deny a Gretna substitute from close range, with the Sons retaking the lead less than a minute later.

A clever quick free-kick sent their trialist striker in on goal, and he stayed calm to roll the ball past Main and secure a first victory of pre-season.

Dumbarton: Long, Wilson C, Buchanan, McNiff, Lynas, McKee (Trialist), Wilson D, Orsi (Trialist), Wallace, MacLean, Byrne (Trialist). Sub: Broun.

Fraser Clarke