Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Stenhousemuir (1) v Dumbarton (3)

Saturday 20th August 2022, Kick Off 3pm

cinch League Two

GOING into injury time of this match, Finlay Gray gathered the ball in the Dumbarton half, and started to run.

At that point, the Sons fans behind the goal were desperate for the final whistle. By the time he had stopped running, they didn't want it to end.

Sons were leading 2-1 at the time, by virtue of a goal later deemed an own goal, and a Martin McNiff effort, and Euan O'Reilly responding for Stenhousemuir.

Gray then ran, and ran, all the way to the Warriors box, and when his first shot was blocked at close range, he simply put the ball away at the second time of asking.

What a way to seal a history-equalling victory for Sons, and to maintain the perfect start to the league season.

It is only one ninth of the way through the league season. But for the second week in a row, Dumbarton's name sits at the top of the cinch League Two table with a 100 per cent record.

How long will it stay there? We simply don't know. But the determination to keep it there is plenty, as amply demonstrated in this game.

Although it was a scrap at times, and a mini-onslaught by Stenny was survived after O'Reilly got them back in the game, Dumbarton's hard work merited the result.

The game took a while to get going. Indeed, the first clear chance of the game did not happen until the 27th minute.

A corner dropped to Ryan Blair on the edge of the box, but the keeper turned his shot wide.

Blair, though, would have more luck six minutes later, even if it does not look like he will go down in history as the scorer of the opening goal.

His corner looked as if it was drifting in at the near post anyway, but got there through a deflection off the home side's Thomas Orr, who was 'credited' with an own goal.

Nine minutes into the second half it was 2-0. It may have been scrappy but there was no denying that this was scored by a Sons player.

McNiff met a long throw-in by Aron Lynas into the box, and finished at close range to put the visitors well on course.

The home side did not pack it in, but the strong defending by Sons continued. However, it was breached with 19 minutes left.

O'Reilly cut in from the left, and fired home a low angled shot to start a period of sustained pressure from Stenny.

Gray headed Sean Crighton's header off the line, while Ross Forbes sent in a fast low shot which just went, from his point of view, the wrong side of the post.

With one minute left, a special moment for Dumbarton, as club captain Ryan McGeever came off the bench to play the remainder of the match - his first competitive game for 10 months.

Every bit as special, though, was what happened when Gray intercepted in his own half going into injury time.

Stenhousemuir: Brennan; Walker, Yeats (Forbes 60), Crighton, Wedderburn, Orr (Sewell 60), Yates, Brown, O'Reilly, Anderson (Corbett 60), Jamieson. Subs: Cantley; Bryson, Joseph. Booked: Yates, Orr.

Dumbarton: Long; Buchanan, Carswell, Orsi (McGeever 89), Love (C Wilson 70), Lynas, McKee (Gemmell 82), Byrne (Wallace 70), Gray, Blair, McNiff. Subs: Broun; Wylde, D Wilson. Booked: Carswell, McKee, Wallace.

Referee: Gavin Duncan.