Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

East Fife (0) v Dumbarton (1)

Saturday 3rd September 2022, Kick Off 3pm

cinch League Two

THEY will not talk about this game as a spectacle for long. One shot on target for each team during the 90 minutes ensures as such.

One team, though, found the net with its solitary shot on target. The other did not. And that was what sent the points over the Queensferry Crossing.

East Fife and Dumbarton were never going to serve up a classic. That much was obvious when you arrived at the ground in a strong wind, blowing half and half towards the stand and the goal to its left.

However, 10 minutes from half time Declan Byrne, playing into that wind, did the deed that decided the match. A sublime through ball from Ryan Blair sent him clear, and resulted in the striker's fifth goal in six league games this season.

And it made it six wins out of six for Dumbarton at the start of the cinch League Two season. And put them eight points clear at the top of the table.

Feet remain firmly grounded in all areas of the club, but the start to the season remains something outwith many people's wildest dreams.

In the tough elements, neither side was able to create much in the first 34 minutes that caused much panic for the opposition.

East Fife had the benefit of the elements, but the Sons defence, once again, was retaining its shape and resistance very well.

Then, on 35 minutes, Blair sent Byrne in on goal, and after working into space 15 yards out, the striker found the net with an angled drive.

Within a minute he could have had a second goal with a shot from the edge of the box, but his effort hit the post and rolled agonisingly away from goal.

East Fife may have had plenty possession at times during the first half, but on his return to his former home ground, Brett Long remained largely untroubled.

Now enjoying the wind advantage, a second goal was high on Dumbarton's agenda after the restart, but it was a frustrating effort to get it.

Finlay Gray, Byrne and Blair all had shots in the opening 15 minutes of the second half, but all were too high.

Things then got scrappy again until seven minutes from the end, when Taylor Steven made space on the edge of the box for East Fife.

His shot crashed off the bar and was scrambled clear by a Sons defence that now had to knuckle down.

They were tested again when Scott Mercer cut in from the right hand side, but his shot flashed across goal and past.

The remaining minutes went by incredibly slowly, but they passed without further incident. History continues to be made.

East Fife: Fleming; Murdoch, Mercer, Millar (Schiavone 81), Steele, Shepherd, Trouten (Walls 71), Newton (Healy 71), Denham, Balde (Steven 59), Ferguson. Subs: Trialist; Slattery, Cunningham, Wilkinson. Booked: Denham, Healy.

Dumbarton: Long; Buchanan, Carswell, Orsi (Gemmell 81), D Wilson, Love (Wylde 75), Lynas, Byrne (Wallace 68), Gray, Blair, McNiff. Subs: Broun; McGeever. Booked: McNiff, Lynas.

Referee: Daniel Graves.