Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Stranraer (3) v Dumbarton (2)

Tuesday 20th September 2022, Kick Off 7.45pm

cinch League Two

PAUL WOODS' final minute penalty saw Dumbarton's winning run come to an end against 10 man Stranraer. Woods kept his composure to slot beyond Brett Long from 12 yards, after a crazy second-half that brought five goals and a red card.

Strikes from James Hilton and Matty Grant had Stranraer cruising, before Martin McNiff's header and Joe McKee's penalty looked to have salvaged an unlikely point for the Sons. However Woods converted from the spot after being tripped by Aron Lynas, to send the loyal band of Sons supporters who had made the 200 mile round trip on a Tuesday evening home disappointed.

Work commitments forced Farrell into one change from the side which had defeated Bonnyrigg Rose, with matchwinner Stuart Carswell replaced by club captain Ryan McGeever - making his first league start in 11 months following injury.

Stranraer's James Hilton and Sons' Ally Love both tested the keepers early on, before the Blues created the first serious opening. Paul Woods got beyond Aron Lynas and flashed a ball across the face of goal - with no takers in blue shirts. Hilton then hit the side netting from a good position, before another tempting Woods cross evaded his teammates and bounced to safety. Woods himself then lashed over the bar from eight yards after a flowing move, with Sons fortunate to make it to half-time level.

Their resolve would last just six second-half minutes. Dylan Forrest's surging run down the right saw him pick out Hilton, who stroked into the empty net. 20 minutes later the hosts doubled their lead.
A flowing move saw Hilson turn provider, as he sent Matty Grant in on goal, and the former Pollok man drilled a first time effort low beyond Brett Long and into the net.

That finally looked to spark some life into the Sons, who got themselves on the scoresheet with 15 minutes remaining. Ryan Blair's corner caused panic in the Stranraer backline, with Martin McNiff nodding in from close range. Finlay Gray was then denied by Blues keeper George O'Connor, before a wicked Ryan Blair cross was glanced off the post from six yards by Ryan McGeever.

After piling on the pressure Sons drew level in bizarre circumstances. O'Connor dithered on a clearance before prodding the ball directly to Finlay Gray. Gray took a touch before unselfishly squaring for Ryan Wallace, who was brought down by Forrest as he shot. The defender collected a second booking, with substitute Joe McKee sending O'Connor the wrong way from the spot.

However there was still time for further drama. After Gray had hit the side netting from close range, the hosts staged one final attack.Paul Woods drove into the area before being tripped by a tired Aron Lynas tackle, with the winger dusting himself down to drill beyond Long from 12 yards.

Stranraer: O'Conner, Robertson, Girvan, Ross, Hilton (Malcolm 83), Woods, Hawkshaw (Brady 83), Forrest, Watt (Ellis 90), Grant, Eze. Subs: Downie, Walker, McLean, Dunn, McIntosh, Duffy.

Dumbarton: Long, McGeever, Buchanan, Orsi (MacLean 54), Wilson D (Wallace 54), Love (McKee 86), Lynas, Byrne (Garrity 61), Gray, Blair, McNiff. Sub: Broun.

Fraser Clarke