Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Brechin City (1) v Dumbarton (1)

Tuesday 16th July 2013, Kick Off 7.30pm

Pre-Season Friendlies

DUMBARTON and Brechin City shared a 1-1 draw on a balmy evening at the University of Stirling playing fields.

Sons boss Ian Murray used the occasion to examine different aspects of his developing squad's capabilities, ahead of challenging League and Cup campaigns.

Early pressure came from Dumbarton's Second Division opponents. The Hedgemen went on the attack straight after kick off, as a dangerous looking cross was pushed away.

At the other end, Mark Gilhaney cut the ball across the area, but Bryan Prunty could not find the target for Sons.

A free kick for Dumbarton 25 yards out provided a further opportunity, but it was played short and then defended away by Brechin.

On 14 minutes there was a minor penalty shout when Chris Turner appeared to have been shoved in the area. The referee waved it away.

Sons were enjoying more of the ball by now and had a number of half chances to take the lead.

At the other end of the park, Linton and McGinn were required to tidy up as Brechin tried to work their way forward.

On 17 minutes Dumbarton went 1-0 ahead. Central defender Ross Smith rose confidently to head past the 'keeper (pictured) following a well-taken corner from fellow trialist Jordan Kirkpatrick.

Five minutes later Kirkpatrick latched on to the ball and fired in an ambitious 30 yarder. However, the ball was safely collected by the goalie.

A free kick was cleared by Sons' defence when Brechin gained their second corner of the afternoon.

Just before the half hour former Hamilton Accies and Airdrie United midfielder Kirkpatrick clipped the crossbar with another good looking strike for Dumbarton.

By this time it was mostly Sons pressing forward. Two further free kicks outside the area were among the other chances.

After the break gaffer Ian Murray made a number of changes.

First Gilhaney and Prunty gave way to Mitch Megginson and Derek Riordan. The latter has been training with Dumbarton as part of his fitness regime.

Not long after the restart a Brechin free kick on edge of area was deflected over by 'keeper Jamie Ewings.

A Dumbarton manoeuvre from one of several corners was then hustled away by the Brechin back line.

The Hedgemen were upping their pace a little in the second half, putting in a shot to test Sons defence from the wing. This went wide after an initial effort had been blocked.

On 55 minutes Brechin City equalised from the penalty spot, following an infringement in the area.

The spot kick was crisp and low, to Ewings' right, giving the 'keeper no chance. He barely moved as the ball hit the back of the net.

Dumbarton pushed back, floating a couple of free kicks in from the left. But no one could quite get hold of them.

Brechin had a good chance when they counter attacked and produced a dangerous shot from 16 yards, which went just wide.

In further changes, Ally McKerracher, Martin McNiff and new signing Owen Ronald joined the fray for Dumbarton, replacing Andy Graham, Jordan Kirkpatrick and Chris Turner.

Riordan had a couple of chances to give Sons the lead again: one from a Linton cross, and the other a cracking effort which flew just over the crossbar.

It was proved to be another useful workout for Dumbarton, who continue their pre-season preparations on Thursday 18th July with a closed doors match against Queens Park.


Dumbarton: Ewings, McGinn, Linton, Graham, Ross Smith (trialist), Gilhaney, Kirkpatrick (trialist), Phinn, Turner, Prunty, Fleming. Subs – Megginson, McKerracher, McNiff, Ronald, Riordan (trialist), Grindlay (gk).

Photo courtesy of Tommy Hughes.

Simon Barrow