Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Rangers (4) v Dumbarton (1)

Saturday 23rd August 2014, Kick Off 3pm

SPFL Championship

DUMBARTON'S return to Ibrox after more than twenty years proved a tough experience, with the final result against Rangers reflecting the gap between the teams and their resources.

Even so, the Sons, who are adapting to a different style of play from last season, and who have now suffered three substantial league defeats, will feel that they can and will perform far better than they did this afternoon.

“We can have no complaints about the scoreline,” admitted gaffer Ian Murray afterwards.

The Dumbarton boss praised the effort of his players but added: ““I was disappointed with the goals we lost. They were shockers. At 4-0 down we just wanted to get out of there.”

It started fairly brightly for Sons on a sunny afternoon in Glasgow.

As the much-anticipated game kicked off the visitors started to stroke the ball around well and Rangers took a little time to get into their stride.

Indeed the first chance of the match fell to the men from the Rock.

As Archie Campbell crossed the ball Colin Nish moved in and clipped it goalward from a dangerous position. In the end home 'keeper Simonsen collected it fairly easily.

On 6 minutes Campbell had another effort block as Sons caused a few jitters at the back for the Ibrox side.

At the other end of the pitch, Kris Boyd looked menacing, but he slipped just at the point where he was setting up to crack a shot in on goal.

Gradually, Rangers came to dominate possession. On 14 minutes Dumbarton conceded a corner which was artfully taken by Lewis MacLeod.

In dashed Lee McCulloch from the edge of the box. His beautifully side-angled shot gave Danny Rogers in the Sons' goal no real chance. It was a superb effort, but he was unmarked and should never have had the space to attempt it.

The goal rocked the visitors' confidence and Rangers started to look more aggressive and confident on the ball.

McLeod continued to pose a threat. On 17 minutes his low, fast 25-yard drive smashed off the post.

Then Nicky Clark pounced on a loose ball after an inswinging cross to strike the woodwork for a second time, on the opposite side.

Dumbarton were living dangerously and in honesty could have been three down inside twenty minutes.

Sons' Lee Mair sustained a nasty looking knock as Rangers began to pin their opponents back.

There was a chance for the visitors to hit back when they won a free kick just outside the area. It was blocked away.

A rangey Scott Linton throw-in then fell to Jordan Kirkpatrick, but he struck the ball well wide.

David Templeton, in for injured winger Fraser Aird, combined with Lee Wallace on 28 minutes.

His shot was parried away by Rogers, the first of several important saves by the Sons goalie.

On half an hour Rangers finally went two up.

Clark, operating with far too much room, drilled in a fine ball to right-back Darren McGregor, who unleashed a powerful drive in on the near post. It was looking all too easy.

Minutes later Rogers was in action again immediately, impressively getting his fingertips to a curling Kris Boyd effort to keep the ball out.

Dumbarton steadied the ship a little and had another couple of half chances themselves.

They looked outnumbered on the pitch as whole, but threatening when they went forward. It just didn't happen often.

In the final period of the opening 45 minutes Simonsen got a hand to a hopeful Colin Nish shot after good pass from Jordan Kirkpatrick.

Then the Rangers 'keeper was called into action again to parry away a fine Archie Campbell header.

Sons kept the score to 2-0 by the time referee Brian Colvin's whistle went for the break, but not until Danny Rogers had once again denied Nicky Law with an impressive stop.

Experienced Lee Mair was taken off at half time, with popular Scott Agnew coming on for the restart and looking creative from the get go. Sons switched to 4-1-4-1.

Rangers immediately went on the attack. Rogers pulled off a miraculous, top-drawer one-handed save from a fierce Law effort that had looked a goal all the way.

When Rangers' Mohsni was booked for a foul on the edge of the area, Agnew steeped up with the 20-yard free kick for Dumbarton. His shot ricocheted off the wall.

Then on 54 minutes the home side went 3-0 in front. A good, sweeping move from the left saw Kris Boyd set up Nicky Clark. The striker finally got his reward, sweeping the ball effortlessly past Rogers.

Once more, Sons had given their opponents far too much space in which to operate up front.

By now the game was effectively over, but with 36 minutes still on the clock. The Sons bench and fans, who kept urging their side on, looked edgy.

Rangers eased up somewhat and brought Ian Black, Dean Shiels and Arnold Peralta off the bench. Nevertheless, Ally McCoist's men were still looking to add to their score.

Dumbarton responded by trying to push back after finding themselves on the back foot once more.

Sons started to get back onto the ball, and Scott Linton took a chance for a left-footed shot from outside the box.

His effort lacked power, however, drifting away to the right.

The Blues attacked again. Great defending from Dumbarton skipper Andy Graham saw him head a powerful shot away while still on the ground after another challenge.

On 72 minutes boss Ian Murray took off Kirkpatrick and brought on Mitch Megginson to see if he could find a way through for Sons.

Nicky Law fired again, this time requiring Danny Rogers to make a save high and towards the left corner of the goal.

On 76 minutes it was 4-0 to Rangers. A corner precipitated a mix up in the back line.

Chris Turner, who had suffered a difficult game, often uncharacteristically allowing himself to be left behind by his opponents, ended up prodding the ball into his own net.

After the restart a right-footed shot from Scott Agnew missed the goal on the left.

Not long afterwards, Kris Boyd and a substantial chunk of the home support thought that he had made it five with a looping header.

The assistant's offside flag was up straight away, but the celebrations continued until realization dawned.

On 80 minutes Hugh Murray replaced Chris Turner for Dumbarton because of an injury.

Shortly afterwards Sons got their consolation.

Bibel Mohsni, who had just been exceptionally lucky to stay on the pitch after a foul that denied Agnew a clear scoring opportunity, spectacularly headed a David van Zaneen cross into his own goal to make it 4-1 on 81 minutes.

Sons successfully saw out the remaining minutes. Kris Boyd went in on goal towards the end, but he touched his effort wide of the post.

Dumbarton: Rogers, van Zanten, Linton, Taggart, Graham, Mair (Agnew 46), Gilhaney, Turner (Murray 81), Nish, Kirkpatrick (Megginson 73'), Campbell.
Subs Not Used: Fleming, Prunty, McDougall, Ewings (GK).

Rangers: Simonsen, McGregor, Wallace, McCulloch, Zaliukas, Mohsni,
MacLeod (Peralta 74), Law (Black 78), Boyd, Clark, Templeton (Shiels 74).
Subs Not Used: Smith, Faure, Crawford, Kelly.

Attendance: 31,175.

Referee: Brian Colvin. Assistants: Michael Banks, Paul O'Neil.

Simon Barrow