Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (1) v Livingston (0)

Saturday 30th August 2014, Kick Off 3pm

SPFL Championship

Dumbarton picked up their first points of the season with a dramatic, last-minute 1-0 win over Livingston.

Sons' boss Ian Murray commented after the match: “We didn't want to go into the international break down in the dumps”

He added: “A point was absolutely vital, but three points is perfect for us.”

A goal right at the death from substitute Chris Kane was enough to get Sons up and running for the 2014/15 league campaign.

After the 90 minutes were up, the match winner admitted: “I probably should have had three. You're not going to score every chance in a game, but two of my chances probably were easier than the goal.”

Dumbarton were unchanged from the side that suffered a midweek loss against Hibernian in the Scottish League Cup.

Livingston started the brighter of the two sides, showing no sign of fatigue after playing 120 minutes against Queen of the South during the week.

Home 'keeper Danny Rogers had to be quick on his feet to get to the other side of his goal, after a shot from the edge of the area was deflected towards the opposite corner from where it was headed. The goalie making a good save to push the ball around the post.

Gary Glen then had a chance for the visitors. His header went wide after he was left unmarked from a corner.

Sons created their first opportunity of the game shortly after. Scott Linton whipped in a fine ball, Colin Nish made a great run to the front post and headed towards goal, but his powerful effort went just wide.

Dumbarton captain Andy Graham was in fine form all afternoon, making an important interception to head the ball behind for a corner.

David van Zanten then had to come off for the hosts. He had earlier received treatment on his knee, but manager Ian Murray said after the match “Vanzy will be fine. He jarred his knee.”

He was replaced by Kieran MacDonald, making his Dumbarton debut after joining on loan from Hamilton Accies during the week.

Chris Turner and Nish both had chances in the penalty area for the hosts, but neither could put the ball in the net.

The best chance of the half fell to Livingston on the stroke of half-time.

Livingston's Glen latched on to a ball to get in behind the Dumbarton defence, but with just Rogers to beaten, fired the ball wide of the mark from a tight angle.

At half time, Chris Kane, who had joined back on loan from St Johnstone on Friday, replaced Colin Nish, who was suffering from toothache pain.

It was clear that Kane was going to pick up from where he left off in his previous loan spell. His pace, constant running and eye for goal caused Livingston problems throughout the second half.

In the opening few moments of his second debut, the St Johnstone loanee created a chance out of nothing with Darren Jamieson saving his shot.

Just before this, Callum Fordyce had a header from a corner well saved by Rogers after he got across his goal to hold the ball.

The visitors hit the bar moments later. Substitute Robert Ogelby saw his cross met by Keaghan Jacobs. However, his header hit the bar and bounced clear.

From there on in, Dumbarton took control of the game with Livingston creating any few additional chances.

Chris Kane put a low cross in the box for Garry Fleming. He played the ball back to Scott Agnew, whose effort was bravely blocked by a defender.

Mitch Megginson called Jamieson into action moments later. He cut in from the left and curled for the far corner. But the Livingston 'keeper made a fine save to get his fingertips to the ball.

It was Kane's turn to bring a save out of Jamieson moments later. He was slipped through by Megginson, but his effort was blocked by a trailing hand from the stopper, before a defender put the ball over the bar.

The ever-lively Kane had two more attempts before he got his goal. First, he shot wide from 20 yards before forcing Jamieson into another save, as his attempt for the bottom corner was well beaten away.

Then, on the 89th minute, Kane got the goal he, and perhaps Dumbarton, deserved.

Livingston failed to clear their lines from a corner, and Sons made them pay. Agnew clipped the ball into the six-yard box. Kane got in front of his man to head the ball into the back of the net, sending Sons fans, players and staff into pandemonium.

The hosts managed to hold on, with one last scare being averted thanks to a terrific challenge from Man of the Match Graham.

Dumbarton: Rogers, Van Zanten (MacDonald 33'), Graham, Taggart, Linton, Gilhaney, Agnew, Turner, Megginson, Fleming (Campbell 76'), Nish (Kane 46').
Subs Not Used: Ewings (gk). Kirkpatrick, Murray, McDougall.

Livingston: Jamieson, Talbot, Fordyce, Ky Jacobs, Ke Jacobs, O'Brien, Gallagher, McKenna (Hippolyte 73'), White, Glen (Robertson 73'), Mullen (Ogelby 46').
Subs Not Used: Grant (gk), Sives, Beaumont, Rutherford.

Referee: Barry Cook. Assistants: Stephen Mitchell, Jim Burns

Attendance: 814.

Jack Crawford