Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Hibs (0) v Dumbarton (0)

Saturday 11th October 2014, Kick Off 3pm

SPFL Championship

DUMBARTON achieved their ten point target for the first quarter of the 2014/15 Championship campaign with a hard-earned goalless draw against Hibernian at Easter Road.

Boss Ian Murray praised his players for their effort and commitment after the game, which sees Sons extend their unbeaten SPFL run to six matches.

“If we could go on defending like that and also be getting goals at the other end we'd be top of the league,” he observed, noting that injuries had limited attacking options for this encounter.

Most of the pressure came from Hibs in the opening 45 minutes of the match, but Dumbarton remained organised and disciplined at the back throughout.

There was a half chance for Jason Cummings following a cross from the right. However the resulting shot went straight into the arms of a waiting Danny Rogers.

At the other end, Sons' Jordan Kirkpatrick forced Mark Oxley into a decent save as he shoved the striker's effort wide.

The resulting corner was cleared, as Hibs went on the counter attack and Sons retreated smartly.

Cummings, David Gray and Dylan McGeouch all had chances for the home side in the opening half hour.

Rogers was required to pull off several important saves, including tipping a fierce McGeouch strike over the bar.

A darting run from Dumbarton winger Mark Gilhaney caused the home side real trouble, but he could not find a target man with his through ball.

Perhaps the visitors' best opportunity came when Colin Nish almost floated in a header from a central position, after a long throw from Scott Linton.

Hibernian won a penalty late on in the half, when Dominique Malonga appeared to have been pulled back in the box by Andy Graham.

Keeper Danny Rogers, positioned well, had no trouble in stopping a weak spot kick from Malonga, but then almost let the ball cross the line as it slipped behind him. Fortunately he recovered just in time.

Another superb save was needed from the young Irish goalie to keep out Jason Cummings from close range not long afterwards.

Following the break Hibs found themselves on the back foot for a while, as Nish almost clipped a twisting volley in from close range and Mitch Megginson had a firm strike blocked.

In between these Sons efforts, Hibs' Malonga cut in dangerously and fired towards the visitors' goal. But his shot went straight at Rogers.

Then Kirkpatrick fired wide from the edge of the area before Cummings did almost the same for the men from Leith at the other end.

Scott Taggart and Andy Graham made impressive stops for Dumbarton as Hibs started to get in behind the defence in search of a breakthrough.

On 72 minutes, Ian Murray replaced Mitch Megginson with Keiron MacDonald. Five minutes later Archie Campbell came on for hard working Garry Fleming.

Hibernian had the ball in the net on 74 minutes, and their fans were on their feet before the assistant's flag confirmed the clear offside decision to put a dampener on the celebrations.

Hibs pushed desperately for a winner in the closing stages of the match, winning a series of corners and forcing yet another impressive Rogers save well into six minutes of time added on.

However, Sons held them back to claim a well-deserved point and earn rousing applause from 150 visiting supporters.

Dumbarton: Rogers, van Zanten, Graham, Taggart, Linton, Gilhaney, Agnew (McLaughlin 95), Megginson (MacDonald 72), Fleming (Campbell 77), Kirkpatrick, Nish. Subs Not Used: Mair, H.Murray, McDougall, Ewings (gk).

Hibernian: Oxley, Forster, Hanlon, Fontaine (Kennedy 59), Gray, Robertson,
McGeouch, Craig (Allan 77), Stevenson, Malonga (Heffernan 69), Cummings. Subs Not Used: Stanton, Handling, Booth, Perntreou.

Referee: Barry Cook. Assistants: Ralph Gordon, Evan Cairns.

Attendance: 7,923.

Simon Barrow