Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Cowdenbeath (1) v Dumbarton (3)

Saturday 27th December 2014, Kick Off 3pm

SPFL Championship

DUMBARTON stormed to a convincing 3-1 win against Cowdenbeath at Central Park this afternoon.

In a game where Sons dominated for all but the first quarter hour of the second half, the margin of victory could easily have been far greater.

“It was a great result for us and I thought the performance was excellent,” said Dumbarton gaffer Murray speaking to the media afterwards.

“I thought the game could have been done at half-time. That's now four out of six for us, and to be on a run of form like that at this level is great – we're ecstatic about it.

“We're just trying to keep everyone's feet on the ground because now we go to Ibrox and then we have Hearts at our place. We've got ourselves a wee bit of breathing space and we can go and enjoy them a bit more,” he added.

Before the match there was a respectful minute's silence to remember the victims and families involved in the terrible Glasgow bin lorry tragedy.

Cowdenbeath got the game underway, with Sons shooting towards the lively away support in the first half.

Garry Fleming made two important interventions to stop through movement by the Blue Brazil.

But Dumbarton were soon on the offensive. An ambitious Andy Graham overhead kick was easily picked off by Robbie Thomson in the home goal.

It soon became clear that there were going to be decent chances at both ends.

Fleming did well to grab the ball again in his own half and beat two defenders on his way to the Cowdenbeath goal, but his shot did not live up to the quality of the run.

Likewise, a long-range effort from the home side did not threaten Sons' confident 'keeper Danny Rogers.

It seemed as if Dumbarton were doing everything but getting the ball into the net midway through the half.

First Agnew flashed a shot over from 25 yards. Then Colin Nish volleyed the ball fiercely into the side netting after another good move.

The best opportunity came when a defensive slip put Archie Campbell through with only Thomson to beat. He could not hold his nerve and missed from ten yards out when it looked certain that he would score.

However, just as things were getting frustrating, Colin Nish opened the scoring for Dumbarton with a really well-taken goal on 38 minutes.

After great work from Scott Linton the big striker finished with an impressive strike curling into the top corner of the net.

There were more opportunities for the eager visitors to extend the lead before the break.

A fine inswinging corner from Agnew, one of several, just failed to find a connection from either Graham or Chris Kane.

Nish was the danger man again when a strong strike once again brought out an acrobatic save from Thomson.

Cowden almost levelled before the half-time whistle, when a shot from the right cracked against the upright.

Following the break Cowden came back into the game for a period, pressing forward with determination but looking somewhat disconnected.

A long-range effort and a shot swung in from the left missed the target for Cowden. There was danger in the air.

Then just as Sons were looking comfortable again the home team pulled a goal back through Craig Sutherland, who was left in too much space.

Dumbarton immediately pushed back. Chris Kane had a shot tipped over onto the netting on top of the goal.

Then on 67 minutes Lee Mair put the visitors back in front with a glancing header from a Scott Agnew assist from a corner. 2-1 to Dumbarton.

On 71 minutes Chris Kane burst through. He was pulled down by Cowdenbeath's Tom O'Brien. Referee Kevin Clancy did not hesitate in pulling out his red card and the home side were down to ten men.

Shortly afterwards Garry Fleming slammed in a third goal for Dumbarton in spectacular fashion from a free kick outside the area to put the match beyond reasonable doubt.

Sons' gaffer Ian Murray rang the changes at that point. First Mitch Megginson replaced Campbell on 76 minutes.

Then Mark Gilhaney came on for hero Fleming (82 minutes) and finally Chris turner gave way to Scott Taggart.

Next up for Sons is a trip to Ibrox to face Rangers. It promises to be an enticing encounter.

Dumbarton: Rogers, van Zanten, Graham, Mair, Linton, Campbell (Megginson 76), Agnew, Turner (Taggart 89), Fleming (Gilhaney 82), Nish, Kane. Subs Not Used: H. Murray, McDougall, Ewings (gk), MacDonald.

Cowdenbeath: Thomson, O'Brien (dismissed), Wedderburn, Halsman, Miller, Kane (Scullion 69), Milne, Robertson, Marshall, Sutherland, Higgins. Subs Not Used: Campbell, Jurisic, Brownlie, Lynas, Callaghan, Sneddon.

Referee: Kevin Clancy. Assistants: Anthony Cooper, Lloyd Wilson.

Attendance: 556.

Simon Barrow