Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Falkirk (3) v Dumbarton (3)

Saturday 31st January 2015, Kick Off 3pm

SPFL Championship

DUMBARTON secured an important point on the road against SPFL Championship form team Falkirk in this game, with a busy 3-3 draw that was very nearly a victory.

“It's a great point after a difficult run of defeats,” commented Sons gaffer Ian Murray after the match. “We could have had even more.”

The manager had been forced into a number of changes in the build up to the game, following losses against Rangers, Hearts and Livingston.

Out went David van Zanten and Chris Turner through injury, along with Lee Mair, who returned to the bench.

Replacing the trio in the starting line-up were Mark Gilhaney, returning from attention to a broken nose, Scott Taggart, and Darren Petrie – the new loan player from Premiership side Dundee United.

Dumbarton started brightly and went ahead on 19 minutes when Scott Taggart struck home from close range to claim his first goal for the Sons.

However, Craig Sibbald then equalised for the Bairns just two minutes later.

From that point onwards the home side then began to apply real pressure and went ahead before the break from a Luke Leahy goal.

Both the home side's goals involved deflections and although they had enjoyed more possession the late blow was a little harsh on Dumbarton.

In the second half Sons continued the fight back they had commenced towards the end of the opening period.

But in truth Falkirk, an accomplished side looking to build on a solid run, still looked well in control much of the time.

Nevertheless, the visitors were rewarded for dogged perseverance on 63 minutes when Darren Petrie claimed his first goal in a Dumbarton shirt with a firm strike past Falkirk goalie MacDonald.

Then to the delight of an enthusiastic away support, Sons went ahead on 71 minutes thanks to a cracker from Archie Campbell.

Dumbarton were desperate to cling on, but it was not to be. Falkirk launched wave after wave of attack.

The match was set up for a tense finale when David Smith equalised on 80 minutes.

The Bairns went on the assault once more, sensing the real possibility of snatching a victory from what had looked like points lost.

From that point on, however, Sons steadied their nerves and organized themselves well to claim a vital point against a well-equipped Falkirk side.

Next week Dumbarton benefit from a cup break. Then on 14 January they have a critical home match against strugglers Cowdenbeath.

Dumbarton: Rogers; Linton (Mair 90), Graham, Gilhaney, Agnew, Megginson, Taggart, Easton, Petrie, Findlay, Campbell (McCallum 89). Subs Not Used: Ewings; Whitefield.

Falkirk: MacDonald; Duffie, McCracken, Vaulks, Alston (Smith 69), Sibbald, Kerr (Biabi 77), Grant, Leahy, Loy, Baird. Subs Not Used: Bowman; Taiwo, Dick, Cooper, Morgan.

Referee: George Salmond.

Attendance: 3,703.

Simon Barrow