Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (0) v QoS (0)

Saturday 28th February 2015, Kick Off 3pm

SPFL Championship

DUMBARTON claimed a vital point in a hard fought 0-0 draw against Queen of the South at the Rock this afternoon.

Both teams struggled on a damp and heavy pitch in the first half, with Queens having more possession but not being able to make their usual passing game count.

Play swung backwards and forwards after the break, with the visitors piling on the pressure towards the end and Andy Graham coming close to snatching a victory for Sons right at the close.

“The guys went out and produced a performance as well as a result, so we're happy,” said manager Ian Murray after the game.

The gaffer praised the effort of all of his players, noting significant contributions from young striker Chris Duggan up front and 'keeper Danny Rogers at the back.

It was evident as soon as the match got underway that the conditions were going to have an important impact.

The Doonhamers' especially struggled with the ball alternately skimming off a wet surface and then dragging slightly on heavy ground.

Lewis Kidd had an early opportunity at the back post for the visitors, but Rogers got down well to save — the first of several crucial stops.

Queens had most of the ball in the first 20 minutes, but their attempts on goal were mostly long range and ineffective.

There was an important let-off for Sons when an Ian McShane header hit the inside of the post and skimmed across the goalmouth without crossing the line.

Danny Rogers also saved a tricky looking distance strike from Mark Millar.

The men from Dumfries pressed from set plays around the box but could not create much more.

At the other end, a 25-yard shot from youngster Dylan Easton was beaten away by visiting keeper Zander Clark.

Then Mark Gilhaney fired wide as Sons finished the half strongly, while Millar dragged a chance wide for Queens.

Otherwise sparse pickings at either end meant that the opening period ended relatively even and goalless.

After the break Sons came more into the game and began to push forward, looking for opportunities to grab an advantage.

Garry Fleming attempted to lead Dumbarton on the counter attack on 49 minutes, but was blatantly pulled back, leading to a booking for Mark Durnan.

Next Gilhaney picked up a loose ball before advancing and driving his shot just beyond the post.

Sons also had a lot of work to do at the back. A fine save from Rogers was needed to deny McShane from close range after scrappy play on the edge of the box.

Then a vital interception from Scott Taggart prevented the ball getting to an unmarked Doonhamer lurking at the back post.

Ex-Son Iain Russell, who has a history of doing damage in these fixtures, replaced Millar just after the hour and immediately started to look dangerous down the left-hand channel.

An off-the-ball incident between Dumbarton's Chris Duggan and Queens' Chris Higgins saw the latter booked and Sons awarded a tantalizing free kick on the edge of the D.

However, Scott Agnew's dead-ball strike lifted well over the bar, drifting out harmlessly for a goal kick.

Dumbarton's Archie Campbell, brought on for Fleming on 69 minutes, was soon into the action.

Let loose by a good, long ball from Duggan, he fired narrowly wide from an acute angle, after going clean through and ending up one-on-one with Clark.

This was positive stuff from Sons. However, when neither side could find a breakthrough, the visitors started to pile on the pressure with wave after wave of attack.

It rather looked as if the home side would be content with a point, while the visitors still thought they could pinch all three.

In his penultimate switch of the afternoon, Dumbarton boss Murray gave Mitch Megginson a run out on 83 minutes, replacing Mark Gilhaney. Six minutes later Mark Wilson came on for Scott Agnew.

There was drama at the end when Queen of the South's Derek Lyle was red carded for a clash with Campbell.

Then right at the death stalwart defender Andy Graham almost stole the match for Dumbarton, poking the ball just wide from the first of two corners in a frantic climax to the match.

Sons remain in seventh in the SPFL Championship after today's results. Alloa lost narrowly to Hibernian, while Cowdenbeath were thumped by Hearts.

Industrious midfielder Chris Turner, returning from injury, was chosen as Dumbarton's Man of the Match by Sonstrust member Michael Needham.

Dumbarton: Rogers, Taggart, Findlay, Graham, Linton, Gilhaney (Megginson 83), Agnew (Wilson 89), Turner, Easton, Fleming (Campbell 69), Duggan. Subs Not Used: McCallum, Petrie, Ewings (gk).

Queen of the South: Clark, Durnan, Higgins, Holt, Dowie, Kidd, Millar (Russell 61), McShane, Carmichael (Burns 62), Paton (Pickard 83), Lyle. Subs Not Used: Mitchell, McKenna, Atkinson, Hooper.

Referee: Steven McLean. Assistants: Stuart MacMillan, David Dunne.

Attendance: 904.

Simon Barrow