Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (1) v Alloa Athletic (0)

Saturday 7th March 2015, Kick Off 3pm

SPFL Championship

A PENALTY just before half-time was the difference between the two teams at the Rock this afternoon, as Dumbarton claimed a crucial victory over fellow part-timers Alloa Athletic.

While hailing a second half stop by Sons keeper Danny Rogers as “save of the season”, boss Ian Murray was sober in his assessment of the overall performance of his side – while obviously delighted at the result.

“We didn't play particularly well, though we started really well,” he told reporters after the game.

“In the first 15 minutes I thought we controlled it. ... In the second half I thought they were unlucky not to get a point out of the game, to be honest.”

Dumbarton started as the more assertive side, dominating early possession without really creating any chances.

Chris Duggan appeared to have been wrestled to the ground by Ben Gordon after going through on goal in the first few minutes of the match, but the referee saw no infringement.

Not long afterwards, the Wasps could have been one ahead after Liam Buchanan rounded Sons' Danny Rogers and then fired wide of the open goal from a sharp angle.

However, though they had slightly more of the play, Sons just could not create enough meaningful chances up front.

For example, Scott Taggart spooned a distance shot into the arms of Wasps keeper McDowall.

At the other end, Alloa's Ben Gordon missed with a header before Isaac Layne's shot on the left was stopped in the centre of the goal.

Then on 42 minutes a foul on Dylan Easton gave Garry Fleming the chance to convert from the spot for Sons and put them into the lead.

He did so with confidence, striking the ball high and wide of the Wasp's goalie to loud cheers from the home support.

After the break Alloa Athletic pressed back hard, pinning back their opponents for much of the half.

They also generated a hosted of opportunities to get back into the match, without ever succeeding in doing so.

Some fine goalkeeping from Danny Rogers combined with last ditch defending kept the visitors at bay.

In particular, the Sons keeper made a quite remarkable late save to tip Alloa forward Greg Rutherford's effort onto the crossbar, preventing what looked to be a certain equalizer.

Darren Petrie replaced Chris Turner for Sons on 62 minutes, as the home side attempted to deflect the flow of opposition traffic into their half and area.

Dumbarton certainly had their chances to extend their lead and make the game safe.

On 68 minutes Scott Agnew right-footed a long-range effort high from a difficult angle.

Three minutes later he was just a bit too high with a direct free kick that flew past Alloa Athetic's left-hand post.

In the final ten minutes Mitch Megginson and Archie Campbell were brought off the Dumbarton bench to replace Garry Fleming and Dylan Easton respectively.

Right at the end Dumbarton could have made it two-nil, when substitute Megginson narrowly avoided capitalising on a sweeping attacking move, seeing his angled shot cleared off the line.

The morale-boosting victory leaves Sons in seventh place in the division, nine points above the relegation play-off place.

Gaffer Ian Murray's assessment is that “I think it is going to be difficult for three teams to catch us.

“One might catch us, but for three to catch us it will take a monumental collapse from us and results to go badly against us.

“Without it being mathematically impossible I think we are a long way towards where we want to be.”

Dumbarton: Rogers; Linton, Graham, Turner (Petrie 63), Gilhaney, Agnew, Duggan, Taggart, Fleming (Megginson 87), Easton (Campbell 82), Findlay. Subs Not Used: Ewings; McCallum, Wilson.

Alloa Athletic: McDowall; Docherty, Gordon, Meggatt, Cawley, McCord, Marr, Doyle (Rutherford 81), Buchanan, Layne (Spence 68), Roberts (Tiffoney 46). Subs Not Used: Couser; Holmes, Benedictus, Flannigan.

Referee: Andrew Dallas.

Attendance: 791.

Simon Barrow