Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (1) v Morton 20s (4)

Monday 8th September 2014, Kick Off 8pm

SPFL Development League

Sons development squad took to their adopted Murray Park home for the second match of their league season.

Coaches Colin Nish and Richie Salveta had high hopes for the match against Greenock Morton, but the early optimism vanished as the tail o' the bank youngsters had an impressive outing against the young Sons.

Dumbarton can take a degree of encouragement from a battling performance, but ultimately having failed to take anything from the clash they remain pointless after two games.

Morton took an early lead through Jon Scullion on 19 minutes following a superb defence splitting pass and he almost scored again minutes later but his effort flew over Lumsden's bar.

Sons then tested the Morton 'keeper as they searched for an equaliser and Lumsden was called into action to smother a Scullion effort just before half-time.

The second period began after a short break, and the initial flow was relentless, each side countering the others attack with one of their own.

With the game finely poised, Donald McCallum (pictured) burst through from midfield and had only the keeper to beat to be hauled back by Morton's Irvine to create the controversial moment of the match.

Sons coach Richie Salveta, who saw the incident differently from the referee, was sent out from the technical area for his protests.

Sub Andy Biddulph drew Dumbarton level on 69 mins with a header from a corner, but straight from the re-start lack of concentration cost Sons dear with Scullion netting his second goal of the night.

Eight minutes later the game was over as a contest with McNeil adding a third,

Scullion completed his hat-trick shortly before the final whistle to make the final score 4-1 to Morton.

Team : Lumsden, Martin, Hainey, Lightbody, C McCallum, Whitefield, Kelly, McIntyre, McKerracher, D McCallum, Hopkins. Subs - Adger, Cook, Biddulph, Clark, Pearson, Bonner.

Alan Findlay