Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (3) v Falkirk (1)

Tuesday 17th March 2015, Kick Off 7.45pm

Stirlingshire Cup

Dumbarton are in the semi-final of the Stirlingshire Cup after a 3-1 victory over Falkirk.

A mix of youth and first team players saw off the Bairns, and Sons will face East Stirling in the last four.

Mitch Megginson scored a double in the first half, along with a Darren Petrie header, as Dumbarton took a surging half time lead. Craig Sneddon pulled one back for Falkirk late on.

Mark Spalding oversaw proceedings, featuring some of the players from his Under 20s squad and some first team players who may feel as if they may have a point to prove.

And one of those players, Dylan Easton, was doing exactly that. His fast feet and trickery was too hard for the young Bairns to deal with. First, he put a dangerous ball across goal but there was no Sons shirt there too score what would be an easy tap in.

Then, his searching pass for Mitch Megginson was just too hard for his teammate.

On 17 minutes, Dumbarton's domination was rewarded.

It only took Jordan Kirkpatrick that long on his return from injury to secure an assist, when his free kick was flicked on by Darren Petrie. The Bairns keeper got two hands to the ball, but the header had just too much pace and the ball hit the back of the net.

Sons did have some defending to do however, but the young centre back duo of Daniel Lightbody and Coll McCallum comfortably dealt with any threats.

Mitch Megginson capitalised on some slack Falkirk defending to pick up the ball in the final third, he advanced forward with the ball but curled his shot over the bar.

Easton was keen to leave his mark on the game, and came closer to doing so when his shot across goal was pushed away by the Falkirk goalkeeper.

He would, though, secure an assist just minutes later.

A superb pass split the defence, and Megginson stroked the ball under the onrushing goalie to put Sons two ahead.

There was still time for another goal before the break, when Kirkpatrick teed up Megginson for almost a carbon copy of the second goal.

Megginson took a touch this time before curling the ball across the 'keeper and into the net.

The second half was a much quieter affair, with Lightbody and McCallum making vital blocks for Sons.

Kirkpatrick and Archie Campbell had chances from range for the hosts, with the latter curling wide and the formers shot easily being saved.

Youngsters Donald McCallum, Kier Whitefield and Mikey Hopkins were introduced in place of first team regulars Petrie, Megginson and Kirkpatrick.

It was looking pretty comfortable for Dumbarton, but there was one negative when the visitors equalised at the end.

Craig Sneddon capitalised on some hesitant defending, and fired the ball under Jamie Ewings. It looked like the Sons stopper got enough on the ball to divert the ball wide, but the ball hit the post and trickled over the line.

Dumbarton saw the game out, in a game that can be labelled as a success. The youngsters put in a solid shift, and the first team fringe players surely have given Ian Murray something to think about ahead of the weekends game with Livingston.

Dumbarton: Ewings; Eadie, Wilson, Lightbody, C McCallum, Trialist, Easton, Petrie (D McCallum 64), Campbell, Kirkpatrick (Whitefield 64), Megginson (Hopkins 71). Subs: Lumsden; Biddulph, R Clark.

Falkirk: Trialist; Hamilton, Dick, McNab (Blair 64), Maybury, Eadie, Blues, Martin (Langton 64), Morgan (Sneddon 71), O'Hara, Cooper. Subs: Fairbanks; Hogg, Johnson. Booked: Maybury, Morgan.

Referee: Colin Steven.

Jack Crawford