Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (0) v Alloa Ath (2)

Saturday 5th September 2015, Kick Off 3pm

Ladbrokes Championship

WELL, that was some weekend.

First there was Scotland's game on Friday night in Georgia. And then, within 24 hours, this.

Dumbarton, in a fixture which was viewed as crucial right from the start, let three points slip through their fingers at home to Alloa.

They had enough chances to be in control well into the second half, but couldn't finish, and the visitors cashed in on the hour mark through Graeme Holmes.

Substitute Eddie Ferns ran in the second for the Wasps in injury time after further opportunities to equalise came and went for the home side.

It wasn't all about the finishing, though – other key elements were missing for Sons. Holmes' goal was down to a basic lack of concentration at the back, while several passes were misplaced.

That all led to a home performance which was way short of the team's potential, and the standards set in other games this season.

Following a lacklustre start, chances began to come around the half hour mark. After Garry Fleming's shot was saved, Gregor Buchanan saw his header cleared off the line.

At the other end Frazer Wright, making his home debut, did well to block from Michael Chopra at close range.

But Sons were still creating opportunities, with Fleming heading over from Darren Barr's header across goal.

Steven Craig also went close, but his powerful angled shot was deflected past.

Eight minutes after the restart Alloa showed more upfront, with Mark Brown brilliantly saving from Connor McManus.

And on the hour mark came the opening goal, when the visitors were awarded a free kick 25 yards out, which they took quickly.

By the time Sons were organised to defend the set piece, Holmes had already slid home a low finish.

On-loan Rangers midfielder Robbie Crawford was close to a second for Alloa but his effort was deflected over.

Dumbarton did look to fight back, but chances weren't coming as easily as the first half. With five minutes left Willie Gibson's shot was headed clear while Mark Docherty's lobbed effort went over.

Then in injury time, a corner dropped to Grant Gallagher six yards out, but his header was over.

With Sons still pressing for an equaliser, Alloa clinched it after three minutes of injury time.

Ferns was quickest to reach a through ball and ran in to put the chance away.

Dumbarton: M Brown; Docherty, Buchanan, Gallagher, Fleming, Craig (McCallum 77), Gibson, Barr, Routledge, S Brown (Cawley 68), Wright. Subs: Ewings; Taggart, Kirkpatrick, Waters, Hopkins. Booked: Barr.

Alloa Athletic: D Crawford; McAusland, Hill, Hamilton, Marr, O'Brien, Chopra (Ferns 57), Holmes (Paun 87), McManus, Williams (Hetherington 76), R Crawford. Subs: McNeil; Reintam, Layne, Hynd.

Referee: Craig Charleston.

Crowd: 715.

Andy Galloway