Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (1) v Motherwell (2)

Saturday 9th July 2016, Kick Off 12.30pm

Pre-Season Friendlies

THE only panic in this game happened 10 minutes from full time.

And it was caused by what turned out to be a false fire alarm.

Despite defeat in their final pre-season friendly before the competitive action, Dumbarton came away with their confidence high.

Robert Thomson's second spectacular goal in five days had them in front at half time against Motherwell and hopeful of a noticeable result.

In the end, the Steelmen turned it round after Ross MacLean equalised and Craig Moore took advantage of a defensive lapse to score the winner.

But everything added up to an enjoyable afternoon for the fans - including their chance to get on the pitch after the alarm sounded, proving to be false.

With only 14 signed players able to take part in the game, augmented by trialist Annan midfielder Josh Todd, Sons were short on numbers compared to their full-time opponents' 20-man squad.

In the end, they gave it a good go, and were unlucky not to go into next week's Betfred League Cup opener with Forfar off the back of at least a draw.

After five minutes, having survived a Lionel Ainsworth shot which flew narrowly over, they went close when Gregor Buchanan's header was beaten away by the keeper. With Thomson in an offside position close to the goalie, it may not have counted anyway.

Four minutes later a Louis Moult shot hit the post for the visitors, with the rebound falling to Dom Thomas six yards out only for him to miss the target.

Grant Gallagher's shot was then turned wide and on 22 minutes, Andy Stirling was close to a goal of real quality, only to see his shot turned wide after beating two defenders.

In the end, that calibre of goal fell to Thomson. From the resulting corner, a game of head tennis was ended by an overhead kick from the striker which found the net.

Motherwell fought back, with Moult's shot deflected off target while MacLean was denied a tap-in by Mark Docherty's interception from a low ball from the left.

Early in the second half, sub keeper Jamie Ewings performed a similar move. A trialist midfielder looked set to find Moore with a low ball from the right, but the goalie did enough and Craig Pettigrew - playing his third 90 minutes within five days - completed the clearance.

Just after the hour mark Todd's shot from 20 yards may have lacked pace but forced a smart save from the visiting keeper.

But on 63 minutes, after Moore's header hit the bar, MacLean was left with a simple close range finish.

Docherty was unlucky not to restore the lead with a shot that an unknowing defender deflected wide, but the winner came on 75 minutes.

A long ball forward led to a communication breakdown, which Moore cashed in on by running the ball into the empty net.

After the fire drill, Sons had one last chance in injury time, but after Thomson flicked on Docherty's free kick, Todd couldn't get the vital touch.

In the end, gaffer Stevie Aitken had what he wanted. Game time for his players and, despite knocks to Stirling and Buchanan, no long-term injuries.

Now for the competitive action.

Dumbarton: Brown (Ewings 46); Pettigrew, Docherty, Buchanan (Clark 64), Stevenson, Gallagher, Fleming, Thomson, Smith, Wright (Trialist 46), Stirling (McCallum 79).

Motherwell: Brill; McMillan (A Trialist 83), Chalmers, Ferguson, Kennedy (Heneghan 46), Campbell (B Trialist 73), Ainsworth (Hastie 46), McHugh (C Trialist 46), Moult (Moore 46), Thomas (Watt 73), MacLean (Mackin 83). Sub: Morrison.

Referee: Willie Collum.

Crowd: 334.

Andy Galloway