Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Morton (2) v Dumbarton (1)

Saturday 7th January 2017, Kick Off 3pm

Ladbrokes Championship

THIS season's first visit to Cappielow, way back on matchday three, was a lesson for Dumbarton.

When things don't go your way, accept it and move on.

New Year. Same old.

Sons were worth at least a point on their return visit to the home of Morton. They were denied it by two things.

Not taking chances, and occasions when fortune was not in their favour.

With Gregor Buchanan already unlucky enough to have put through his own goal, the turning point came midway through the second half.

When the home side's Aidan Nesbitt went down in the area with Darren Barr nearby, a penalty was awarded. Michael Tidser converted.

It transpired to be the winner, as Andy Stirling's goal was all Dumbarton could manage by way of consolation.

For the second time this season, Sons had to leave Greenock in a blaze of mystery and misfortune and without the result they deserved.

Stirling looked to set up Josh Todd for the afternoon's first clear chance, but the midfielder just missed his team-mate's low ball across goal.

Then on 19 minutes, Nesbitt fired the ball into the danger area, with Buchanan's efforts to clear resulting only in him inadvertently slicing into his own net.

He almost found the other net instantly, but couldn't quite connect with Mark Docherty's free kick into the area.

After Alan Martin saved brilliantly from Ross Forbes at close range, he was forced off injured, giving Mark Brown his first league football since February.

But chances continued at each end. Forbes hit the post from the edge of the area while Sam Stanton had a shot pushed wide.

From the resulting corner, neither Barr nor Stanton's efforts could beat defenders waiting on the line.

Sons' finish to the half was strong, but fruitless. Robert Thomson and then Todd again were denied by the home keeper and defence.

Early in the second half, Morton were looking to clinch it, but Forbes was denied at close range by the second Sons keeper of the day.

With the second half having progressed slowly, the afternoon's key moment then came midway through. Tidser made it 2-0 after the dust had settled.

But on 70 minutes, Stirling had Dumbarton back in business with a low, deflected shot.

After Jon Scullion shot straight at Brown when well placed, Sons pushed relentlessly but could not duly trouble the home goal.

It may have looked set up for Christian Nade to be the hero on his 'debut' for Sons, but even his bending shot in the last minute of the 90 couldn't hit the target.

Morton: Gaston; Kilday, O'Ware, Doyle, Forbes, Oyenuga (Scullion 10), Lindsay, Nesbitt (Orr 90), Tidser, Russell, Murdoch. Subs: McGowan; Oliver, Tiffoney, Strapp.

Dumbarton: Martin (Brown 24); Pettigrew, Docherty (Nade 68), Buchanan, Todd, Fleming, Thomson (Vaughan 73), Stanton, Barr, Smith, Stirling. Sub: McCallum.

Referee: John Beaton.

Andy Galloway