Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Stranraer (1) v Dumbarton (0)

Saturday 3rd September 2016, Kick Off 3pm

Challenge Cup

Dumbarton crashed out of the Irn-Bru Cup at the first attempt as a late goal consigned them to defeat at Stranraer.

In a game of few chances, Mark McGuigan was in the right place at the right time to send the hosts through to the fourth round.

Manager Stevie Aitken, visiting the club he used to take charge of, was without the cup tied Daniel Harvie and Joe Thomson for the game. Replacing them was the returning Darren Barr and debutant Sam Stanton.

Sons started the game brightly as Robert Thomson and Ryan Stevenson linked up with the former then curling a shot that was easy for the 'keeper to hold.

Dumbarton continued to control the game in the opening 20 minutes. Sam Stanton sent Thomson running down the right hand side. His cross was nearly met by former Stranraer man Andy Stirling, but a good challenge was made to deny him.

There was a host of players playing against their old clubs for each side, and one of the ex-Dumbarton men nearly provided an assist for the opener. Willie Gibson crossed a free kick deep to the back post that was met by an attacker but 'keeper Alan Martin made a good block.

Thomson and Stevenson linked up again after an error from Cameron Belford in the Stranraer goal, but Stevenson this time missed the target. 

McGuigan then had an effort well held by Martin as the first half fizzled out with the score level.

In the second half, it didn't take long for Aitken to introduce substitutes. Garry Fleming and David Smith were brought on for Stanton and Stevenson.

Smith was making an impact immediately and looked to be what Sons were missing in the final third with his pace and direct play.

Thomson met one of Smith's low crosses and turned it goalwards,  forcing the keeper to push the ball away.

That would be the strikers last involvement as Donald McCallum replaced him after 67 minutes.

 McCallum glanced a header at the keeper but it was easy for him to collect, and Gibson missed the target with a free kick for the home side.

Former Dumbarton striker Christian Nade then came on for Stranraer, and he would have a part to play in the winning goal that came after 83 minutes.

The Frenchman turned in the box and managed to get a shot away which Martin got down to save with one hand.  The loose ball, however, was then turned home by McGuigan.

Dumbarton tried to find a late equaliser, that looked like it would come through Smith, but Stranraer stood tall to see the game out with little issue.

Sons now have four home games out five in the league, starting with leaders Hibernian this coming Saturday.

Stranraer: Belford, Robertson, Dick, McKeown, Bell, Agnew (McCloskey 88), Turner, Ryan Thomson, Gibson, Malcolm (Nade 73), McGuigan (Maley 89). Not used: Richardson, Sherrie, Dempster and Currie.

Dumbarton: Martin, Pettigrew, Docherty, Buchanan, Stevenson (Fleming 56), Todd, Gallagher, Robert Thomson (McCallum 68), Stanton (Smith 56), Barr, Stirling. Not used: Kassarate and Ewings.

Referee: John McKendrick Attendance: 401

Jack Crawford