Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (0) v Annan Ath (0)

Tuesday 25th July 2017, Kick Off 7.45pm

BetFred Cup

AND so it continues.

No matter how hard Dumbarton try, the new-look Betfred Cup just doesn't seem to be for them. At least for the time being.

On top of the first half, it seemed a matter of when they would open the scoring against Annan Athletic.

Then, on 33 minutes, most of the YOUR Radio 103FM Stadium was stunned. Christian Nade was sent off for an offence which, at the time, looked non-existent.

The striker later confirmed on social media that words were had with the assistant referee, leading to his dismissal.

As it was, both teams ended the match with 10 men, as Owen Moxon picked up two second half bookings for the visitors.

With no goals scored, it was down to a penalty shoot-out, which for the third time in the Betfred Cup's short history, was lost by Sons.

Whatever happens at Kilmarnock on Saturday, their campaign in this season's competition ends there. A depleted squad should definitely be playing for pride, but there is no more at stake than that.

Just as he did on his first start against Clyde, Ally Roy looked lively out wide, and after beating two defenders to cut into the area, was unlucky to see his bending shot saved.

Even after the dismissal of Nade which followed, Dumbarton continued to dominate most of the first half, but struggled to create chances.

Roy's shot on the turn just missed the target, before Craig Barr couldn't quite get his head to Chris Johnston's free kick.

Eight minutes into the second half there was more frustration. Mark Stewart looked to have touched in the rebound from Chris McLaughlin's saved shot, but he was flagged offside.

Annan then upped the stakes and Daniel Orsi's bending shot crashed off the post and rebounded into play. The same player was then denied by McLaughlin on the goal line.

After Moxon's departure, Aidan Smith was next to breach the Sons defence, but Andy Dowie made a great tackle to put the ball out of play.

Then Scott Gallacher, penalised for handling a passback for the second time in the match, made up for it with a fine save from Ryan Stevenson's shot.

Each side had half chances towards the end, but penalties it was, and with McLaughlin's shot saved and Stewart blasting over, while Smith and Ryan Sinnamon scored for Annan, Sons were right up against it.

Calum Gallagher got Dumbarton off the mark while Rabin Omar got the visitors' third. Barr had to score, and did, and when Gallacher saved from Orsi, there was hope.

Roy got Sons' third, but of all people, it had to be Stevenson who got the winning penalty that denied a bonus point.

Dumbarton: S Gallacher; Smith, McLaughlin, Dowie, Wilson (Prior 85), Stewart, Johnston (C Gallagher 81), Hutton, Roy, Nade, Barr. Subs: Ewings; Hill. Booked: McLaughlin. Sent off: Nade.

Annan Athletic: Atkinson; Hooper, Creaney, Sinnamon, Krissian, Swinglehurst, Omar, Moxon, Smith, Stevenson, Orsi. Booked: Creaney. Booked and sent off: Moxon.

Referee: Craig Charleston.

Andy Galloway