Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Morton (1) v Dumbarton (1)

Saturday 21st October 2017, Kick Off 3pm

Ladbrokes Championship

FOOTBALL, as a sport, has several unwritten rules.

Which seem to include that, whatever their goals for the season, Dumbarton and Morton will always be well-matched.

One day, one of those teams will dominate the other to the point where there is clear daylight between them. That hasn't happened for some time and it didn't happen here.

It would be pretty accurate to say that the team attacking the Wee Dublin End had the better of each half, territorially at least. Going that way first, Sons handed their opponents a four-minute warning when that was all it took for Mark Stewart to put them ahead.

But it was a warning they failed to heed. Four minutes after the restart Morton were level through Bob McHugh, and over the rest of the afternoon, made Scott Gallacher earn his wage with some fine saves.

In the end, a draw was the fairest outcome, and one that gave Dumbarton what they would consider a useful point.

The one frustration was that this was the third of five away games where Sons have scored first, but had to settle for a draw. But that's something they can work on.

Just as sticking the ball in the net was something to work on after recent games - and the fruits of that work were evident in four minutes.

Tom Walsh's low ball from the left was initially behind Stewart, but ricocheted off Michael Doyle to fall kindly for the striker, who saw off the keeper's efforts to retrieve it and score.

After a further four minutes, Craig Barr headed the ball down for Dimitris Froxylias, whose ferocious volley was just over.

It was going well without many chances being created, with the Sons defence on top form before the lead got harder to preserve close to half time.

After Gallacher had saved a Gary Harkins free kick, Dougie Hill got in the way of McHugh's close range shot.

Right on half time, Gallacher also denied Jai Quitongo at close range.

Dumbarton's luck was in, but they knew what a long second half lay ahead. Even more so when, four minutes into it, they were back level.

McHugh scored with a low narrow angled shot, with the referee showing no interest in loud appeals for a handling offence in the build-up.

The lead was almost restored only three minutes later, but Barr headed wide from Walsh's cross at close range.

Gallacher then did well to save from Gary Oliver before Ricki Lamie narrowly missed the target with a low shot from distance.

After Froxylias was substituted, typically Sons were awarded a free kick from almost the blade of grass he would have wanted. Walsh tried instead, and got it on target, but his effort was saved.

Another fine save by Gallacher then denied Lamie before Greg Morrison couldn't quite connect with Barr's downward header from Walsh's free kick.

Games don't always have the right result, but this one, over the big picture, did. And the point was the difference between seventh and eighth places for Sons in the table at the end of the day.

They have also, only slightly belatedly, reached their 10-point target for the season's first quarter.

Morton: Gaston; Murdoch, O'Ware, Lamie, Doyle, Oliver, Quitongo, Thomson (Forbes 63), McHugh (Scullion 85), Harkins, Russell. Subs: Doohan; Langan, Armour, Barr. Booked: Lamie, Harkins.

Dumbarton: S Gallacher; McLaughlin, Dowie, Wilson, Stewart (Roy 79), Walsh (C Gallagher 79), Wardrop, Hutton, Hill, Froxylias (Morrison 71), Barr. Subs: Ewings; Johnston, Prior. Booked: Barr, Wardrop.

Referee: Barry Cook.

Andy Galloway