Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (0) v Dundee Utd (2)

Saturday 28th October 2017, Kick Off 3pm

Ladbrokes Championship

THERE was only one player starting this game who played for Dumbarton last season.

He showed his class then, and he did it again in this game to earn his team the points.

Unfortunately, this time his team was Dundee United.

By the time 16 minutes had been played, Sam Stanton had scored twice for the visitors, and as it turned out, more or less wrapped things up even by that stage.

The two goals punished mistakes by a Dumbarton side whose effort was never in any doubt, but who struggled to lay a glove on the managerless United.

The afternoon was summed up when Craig Barr was sent off for two bookings on 64 minutes, just when it looked as if all the effort just might come to something.

However, Sons, as well as missing several players through injury, also lacked elements of recent performances which have gained little reward.

All that can now be done is to focus on a vital game at Brechin, for which Barr and some of the injured players will be missing.

That game will require more cutting edge, but also a retention of the determination which lasted the full 90 minutes of this game.

By the time the second of those minutes had passed, Sons were behind after carelessly conceding possession in their own half.

The ball was worked from the right wing to the edge of the area, and Stanton showed he has still got it with a fine finish into the top corner.

There was real class about that finish, but what followed 14 minutes later was simply cashing in on more errors.

His shot from a corner seemed to lack much pace, but somehow found the net via deflections. This was the fourth goal conceded by Sons from a corner in the last five games.

Barr went close four minutes later, but couldn't get his header from a flicked corner on target. The corner was awarded after a United defender seemed to handle the ball out of play.

The visitors remained on top, but neither Billy King nor Stewart Murdoch could convert opportunities they were given. Dumbarton, meanwhile, were toiling, and brought on striker Greg Morrison at half time hoping his presence could give renewed threat upfront.

He almost did with 11 minutes gone of the second half, but his header from David Wilson's corner was deflected wide. Soon after, Scott Gallacher did well to save from Scott McDonald, touching his effort over the bar.

Then Barr went down under a challenge in the area, but all he got was a second booking, making him the fifth Sons player dismissed in referee Craig Charleston's last six games with the club.

All that really remained of the game was a Matty Smith shot from the edge of the area which saw Gallacher again up to the test.

That was on 78 minutes, but the real damage had been done over an hour earlier. Sons must now move on.

Dumbarton: S Gallacher; McLaughlin, Dowie, Wilson (Roy 82), Stewart (C Gallagher 87), Walsh (Morrison 46), Wardrop, Hutton, Hill, Froxylias, Barr. Subs: Ewings; Carswell, Johnston, Prior. Booked and sent off: Barr.

Dundee United: Lewis; Murdoch, Scobbie, Durnan, McDonald, Fraser (Keatings 73), King (Glass 90), Stanton, Flood, Robson, Smith (McMullan 83). Subs: Deniz; N'Koyi, Edjenguele, Allardice. Booked: Keatings.

Referee: Craig Charleston.

Andy Galloway