Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Brechin City (0) v Dumbarton (1)

Saturday 4th November 2017, Kick Off 3pm

Ladbrokes Championship

THERE'S an old saying that gets used quite a lot when you're competing in the lower part of the table.

Victories will be accepted in any way possible, including with the winner going in off a part of somebody's anatomy in injury time.

Just as well really, because Dumbarton and Brechin kicked off this game very much in that frame of mind.

It was City who provided the game's decisive moment - but Sons were the ones who got the result.

Home left back Willie Dyer was probably low down the list of potential matchwinners for Dumbarton, but he was courtesy of his horrendous bad luck in the final minute.

Greg Morrison couldn't connect with Chris McLaughlin's delivery from the left. Dyer did, but his efforts to clear put the ball the other side of the post.

From his point of view, it was the wrong side. From Sons' perspective, it was priceless.

It was a game Dumbarton just about shaded, but for long spells, the only Spark anywhere on the pitch was Brechin's right back Euan.

The effort and desire for the points was evident on both sides, but neither side had the cutting edge to break the deadlock before the late drama.

Sons were on top for much of the first half and arguably should have been ahead. There wasn't much doubt that Mark Stewart scored from an offside position on 18 minutes, coming from behind the keeper to get to a long ball.

But six minutes later he won the race with Paul McLean to get to another long pass and finished well. To the understanding of very few people, at least those of a Dumbarton persuasion, the goal was ruled out for a foul.

Scott Gallacher was the one who made the first save of the afternoon, turning Jordan Sinclair's effort wide. Then close to half time, a fierce shot by Stuart Carswell, on his first game since September 16 against Brechin, was touched over the bar.

Carswell has never scored in his senior career, but this wasn't the only time in the day he looked like finding the net.

Within seconds of the restart Tom Walsh had gone close with a low drive which was saved before Brechin stepped things up.

Substitute Finn Graham was just off target with a glancing header while his Liam Watt saw Gallacher turn his shot on to the bar.

Carswell and Walsh then missed the target with further chances for Sons, and there was more frustration with six minutes left when David Wilson's volley was saved.

A share of the points looked set to happen before it finally happened for Dumbarton with one of the last meaningful touches of the game.

One number three crossed. The other number three inadvertently finished. Three points.

Brechin City: G Smith; McLean, Dyer, Fusco, Dale, Layne (McLennan 59), Watt, Spark (Lynas 85), Orsi, Crighton, Sinclair (Graham 50). Subs: P O'Neill; C O'Neill, E Smith.

Dumbarton: S Gallacher; McLaughlin, Dowie, Carswell, C Gallagher (Morrison 59), Stewart (Johnston 85), Walsh, Wardrop, Hutton, Hill, Roy (Wilson 75). Subs: Ewings; Prior. Booked: Hill.

Referee: Don Robertson.

Andy Galloway