Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

St Mirren (5) v Dumbarton (0)

Tuesday 27th March 2018, Kick Off 7.45pm

Ladbrokes Championship

THERE really isn't much you can add to the scoreline.

Except that it is just about a fair reflection. 'Just about', because, well, it could have been more.

This was the fixture Dumbarton could have done without. Three days after the Irn Bru Cup final, away to the team who will deservedly, sooner rather than later, win the Championship title.

It was a hiding to nothing in waiting. All Sons could do was dig in, give it their best shot and hope to frustrate St Mirren.

Once Lewis Morgan opened the scoring for the home side, that possibility was more or less out the window.

Cammy Smith doubled the lead by half time, and Danny Mullen and Gavin Reilly crashed home further efforts before Morgan rounded things off.

Keeper Scott Gallacher more than earned his money as well.

The small mercy was that it wasn't as bad, score-wise, as the last midweek visit to Paisley, which in 2008 saw seven unanswered goals put past the Sons side who went on to win the Third Division title.

But silverware is far from the agenda this time around. Eighth place is the target and, with Inverness CT beating Dundee United, a huge hammer blow was delivered up north.

Defeat to St Mirren was a hit Dumbarton could have taken if the Arabs had delivered a favour. Instead the gap is now seven points and the chances of survival without the need for play-offs now seem even more remote.

Gallacher's first action of the night was to save from Mullen after the striker cut in from the left only for the keeper to block at close range.

Dimitris Froxylias was then unlucky with a 20-yard shot which was saved before the leaders' fun and games really began on 13 minutes.

After possession was surrendered out wide, the Buddies played the ball across the edge of the box, from where Morgan bent home a shot.

Kyle Hutton then headed over at the back post before David Smith headed off the line as Kyle Magennis' corner threatened to go straight in.

On 32 minutes, though, more hesitant defending allowed his namesake Cammy a close range finish.

A minute later Kevin Nisbet's effort was on target, but Craig Samson get enough of a touch to deflect it behind.

After that things went downhill at a rate of knots as Saturday's exertions caught up with Sons and St Mirren took full advantage.

Mullen was just unable to finish Ryan Flynn's angled drive before Flynn again went for goal, shooting just over.

Instead it was four minutes after the restart when Mullen made it 3-0, finishing a low ball from the left at close range.

Gallacher made fine saves from Smith and Mullen before, after 70 minutes, he blocked from Reilly at close range. Unfortunately the loose ball spun towards goal and the striker had an easy finish when it came down again.

With five minutes left possession was again squandered cheaply, but that couldn't take anything away from a classy long-range finish by Morgan.

It was almost the final insult that this goal was heralded by Dumbarton's usual goal celebration music.

Even then, that seven-goal thrashing of a decade ago could still have been matched, but Gallacher saved well from Reilly and Flynn.

A final whistle has rarely come as such a relief.

St Mirren: Samson; McGinn, MacKenzie, Magennis (McShane 78), Morgan, C Smith, Flynn, Davis, L Smith, Mullen (Reilly 67), Eckersley (Stelios 60). Subs: Stewart; Sutton, Baird, Hippolyte.

Dumbarton: S Gallacher; Smith, Dowie, Carswell, Hutton, Froxylias (Walsh 62), Dick, Nisbet (C Gallagher 55), Stirling, Burt (D Wilson 71), Barr. Subs: Ewings; McLaughlin, Stewart, Hill. Booked: Dowie.

Referee: Colin Steven.

Andy Galloway