Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Dumbarton (2) v QoS (2)

Tuesday 28th November 2017, Kick Off 7.45pm

Ladbrokes Championship

THIS was the type of game you could ask 10 people about and they'd all give you a different account of it.

About how this was or wasn't a penalty, that goal was or wasn't offside, this team should have done that, the others should have done this.

They say the beauty of football is the range of opinions. This game brought that alright.

But if you were to ask 10 people from Dumbarton, their 10 different views would all centre on one thing. Frustration.

Whether it was because, for the second game in a row, Sons led twice and could only take a point; or whether it was circumstances outwith their control.

The men who established the lead were Calum Tapping - putting through his own net - and Greg Morrison. The two Queen of the South players who cancelled it out each have Dumbarton connections.

But while it is 11 years since Stephen Dobbie wore the shirt, Sam Wardrop still wears it. His late own goal gave the Doonhamers a share of the points.

A third lead definitely could have been gained when Ally Roy's goal was chalked off for offside. He wasn't the player in such a position - Greg Morrison, who made a move, but made no contact with Tom Walsh's cross, was.

For the second time in three days, it was 'Good point, but...'

With Walsh and Lyndon Dykes already having gone close for each side, Sons gained the lead when Wardrop sent over a cross from the right.

It glanced off Tapping and spun out of the reach of Alan Martin, whose clean sheet on his return to G82 had lasted only eight minutes.

What followed was a stuffy first half which saw Sons hold their own, apart from one slack moment.

Eight minutes from half time, a short passback was intercepted, but Scott Gallacher kept Dykes out at close range.

Right on half time, Mark Stewart cut into the area from the left only for Jason Kerr to challenge from behind. Dumbarton's penalty appeals went unheard.

Stewart and, on two occasions, Dykes, had further chances in the second half, but still nobody was able to put the ball in the net at the right end.

Then Kyle Hutton had a shot from distance which was just too high, before Queens introduced Andy Stirling as a substitute. They now had four ex-Sons on the field.

And it was one of them, Chris Kane, who was at the centre of the next incident with 20 minutes left. Carswell's challenge from behind in the area was punished with a penalty, which Dobbie converted.

Gallacher then did well to save from Kerr, but with nine minutes left Dumbarton were in front again. Walsh's cross found Morrison at the near post and he headed his first goal for the club.

However, three minutes later, Wardrop deflected the ball into his own net. All square again.

And after the further incident when Roy volleyed in another Walsh cross, it ended that way.

Dumbarton: S Gallacher; McLaughlin, Dowie, Carswell, C Gallagher (Roy 79), Stewart (Nade 76), Walsh, Wardrop, Hutton, Froxylias (Morrison 66), Barr. Subs: Ewings; Johnston, Hill, Prior. Booked: Roy.

Queen of the South: Martin; Marshall, Fordyce (Rooney 24), Brownlie, Tapping (Stirling 66), Rankin, Dobbie, Kerr, McFadden (Kane 59), Murray, Dykes. Subs: Leighfield; Bell, Akubuine, Mercer. Booked: Rooney.

Referee: Alan Newlands.

Andy Galloway