Dumbarton Football Club - Sons of the Rock 1872

Morton (3) v Dumbarton (2)

Tuesday 10th April 2018, Kick Off 7:45pm

Ladbrokes Championship

"DONE in with the last kick of the game."

If Dumbarton do not pull off a miracle and achieve automatic survival in this season's championship, that would probably be a fitting epitaph to the season.

One goal from this season has already disappeared with a goal conceded in injury time, to Inverness CT in Perth in the Irn Bru Cup final on Saturday, March 24. Seventeen days later, another may have gone with it.

When Jack Iredale struck Morton's winner, the eight-point gap to Falkirk remained. With the Bairns losing to Inverness CT, a big opportunity was squandered.

The arithmetic says that it is still possible, but with just four games to go until Judgement Day, the odds don't.

A draw would have been fair, and looked to have been gained with two minutes left when Thomas O'Ware deflected Liam Burt's shot into his own net.

Danny Handling had given Sons the lead only for Gary Fraser and John Baird to turn things around for the home side.

And all this was in the second half.

If teams got points for what they deserved out of games, Dumbarton would be in a much more desirable position. They don't, and they are not.

All they can do in the remaining 360 minutes of league football, which include a home game against Falkirk, is aim to win all four fixtures and hope it is enough.

The first half gave little sign of what was to come, although one nightmare scenario was close to reality after 14 minutes.

Robert Thomson had the ball in the net for his new employers, but the ex-Dumbarton man was denied by an offside flag after converting Michael Doyle's cross.

Scott Gallacher then turned Fraser's long distance effort wide before signs of life emerged in front of the Morton goal.

Andy Stirling's cross was reached by keeper Derek Gaston just before Handling, although the collision between the duo resulted in Gaston leaving the action at half time.

Soon after, Calum Gallagher glanced a header wide.

In the second half, another Stirling cross saw David Wilson's header gathered by the replacement keeper.

Then, as if to sum up the current run of luck, Tom Walsh got to a long ball ahead of the keeper, but a defender was back to clear.

But on 55 minutes the fun started. Grant Gallagher, only just introduced to the game, sent a high ball into the area which Handling controlled and finished.

Just after that Wilson made an excellent tackle to stop Gary Harkins from scoring what looked a certain equaliser.

However, the lead was annulled on 62 minutes when Fraser thrashed home after a low ball from the left.

Then eight minutes later, Baird turned and fired home from the edge of the area. Everything was collapsing with, at that stage, no sign of recovery.

In fact, with a further eight minutes having gone, Morton should have wrapped it up. A five-on-one chance resulted in Bob McHugh somehow shooting over.

And with two minutes to go, the let-off was punished as Burt's low shot took a deflection off O'Ware and found the net.

But after Gallacher saved from McHugh in the third minute of injury time, Iredale followed up.

Thank you and goodnight.

Morton: Gaston (Brennan 46); O'Ware, Lamie, Doyle, Thomson (McHugh 66), Tidser (Tiffoney 56), Harkins, Baird, Fraser, Ross, Iredale. Subs: Murdoch, Russell, Langan, Purdue. Booked: Iredale.

Dumbarton: S Gallacher; McLaughlin, Dowie, C Gallagher, D Wilson, Walsh (Stewart 78), Hutton, Handling (Burt 72), Dick (G Gallagher 51), Stirling, Barr. Subs: Ewings; Hill, Froxylias, Nisbet. Booked: Walsh, Handling, Stirling.

Referee: Craig Charleston.

Andy Galloway